Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM 12 Bolt Differential.... will it fit?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by StiffRide81, Sep 17, 2002.

1. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

I just remembered that I have a NEWLY REBULT FRESH>> BEAUTIFUL 12 bolt rear end out of a 69-72 chevelle. My question is... does this car and my 81 K10 blazer have a close wheel base??? If so, could I use this rear-end for my front diff????? I really would like to.. it is in MINT condition and all I would have to do is change the gears in it... i HOPE!! I would appreciate any help you guys and girls /forums/images/icons/wink.gif could offer.... thanks.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Nope. GM never had a 12-bolt front end. Your '81 left the factory with a 10-bolt front end. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    all I would have to do is change the gears in it

[/ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green">
    That and figure out how you're going to steer with it... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif </font color>

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Why do you want to do this? To only drive straight from now on? Of course the front end has to steer. The Chevelle likely had 5-lug. The width doesn't really matter since the fixed axles would have to go anyway. Here's the only way I can see to do it:

You would cut the ends of the axletubes off, junking the brakes, etc. Then you would take the knuckles from your 10-bolt axle and weld them on. I think the axle-tube diameters are similar between 10- and 12-bolt. Then you would fill it with 10-bolt axleshafts if they fit. Otherwise, you would need custom ones. Then you weld on the spring plates and shock mounts in the locations they are in now on your 10-bolt. Of course, all you've done is spend a ton of time to move your ring and pinion from 8.5" to about 8.75" or something.

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Youcould take that Chevelle 12 bolt to a rearend shop along with your 10 bolt and have them cut both and put the knuckles and outers on the 12 bolt and then get custom axles made.

But hell, it would just be cheaper to rebuild your axles or go with a 60..

6. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

Ya, you know I think all that would be too much work and I wouldnt get much out of it....
    EVERYBODY keeps talking about a DANA 60... where can I find one??? My uncles OWNS a junkyard... what kind of vehicles did they come in???? I probably could get them... Hell, If I wanted to... I know I could get ahold of 2 and a half ton diffs!!!!!!!! I simply need to know what I can get a DANA 60 front Differential out of.... I need something tuff for my front end!

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

77-87 1 ton 4x4 Chevy p/u's..... You can tell if it is a 60 or not by looking at the steering arm on the drivers side. The 60 has a square 4 bolt pattern!

If you aren't doing any heavy wheeling, just stick with the 10 bolt, you will be fine! No need to go to a 60 front unless you have big meats or a heavy foot(or maybe you rock crawl heavily)

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Plus, you are cooler if you have a 60.