Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM 12 Bolt Disc Brakes ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rubberlips, Aug 1, 2001.

1. rubberlips

rubberlips Newbie

Besides the kit that costs nearly $600, is there a less expensive method to putting disc brakes on the rear 12 bolt axle? Any suggestions are welcome before I go and drop the cash. Thanks!

2. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

my complete kit cost me about $80, i have to go to work now but ill tell you what i did later.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, post some details please!

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Warn makes brackets that you ditch the backing plates, install 88-91 k1500 front rotors, caddy rear calipers (includes parking brake). Depending on how you want to go, $100 for the brackets, $300 for the calipers, pads, hoses, and $50 for the rotors. I got all new stuff, you can probably get them at the junkyard cheaper. I'm also doing the full floater kit at the same time.

5. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I used all stock front end brake parts on mine and a friends truck with no problems and plenty of brake. I took stock backing plates and cut a piece out so they would slide over the axle tube and drilled and bolted the backing plates to the back side of the existing flange with three bolts. I used one of the existing bolt holes and drilled the other two. I then took a stock rotor and put it on the back side of the axle flange. I drilled the axle stud holes out to 17/32" and used stock front studs to hold everything together. The stock front caliper fits on no problem. I purchased a pair of short rubber brake lines that were about 12" long and bolted up to the calipers. I shortened the steel line and attached it to the rubber lines. Wa la a cheap disc brake setup. I purchased new rotors and calipers and the brake lines from the auto parts store and the set of backing plates I robbed from a spare axle. I have a grand total of $130.00 in parts and about three hours labor. I have done this on a 12 bolt as well as a 10 bolt with no problems. I do not have an e brake but instead I use a line lock that cost $25.00 from J. C. Whitney.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I do not have an e brake but instead I use a line lock that cost $25.00 from J. C. Whitney.

<hr></blockquote>

OK, so what in the heck is a line lock???

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a line lock allows the brakes stay applied through the fluid pressure. Have you had any problems with line locks bleeding pressure slowly? Also, did you take pics of the brake setup? Sounds like I have a plan in store since my income will be raised here in a few months.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.handguncontrolinc.com>www.handguncontrolinc.com</a>

8. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

88-91 front 1/2ton 4x4 chevy rotors
    79 seville calipers
    made my own brackets

i offed the stock abs and proportioning valve, it stopps great and the e- brakes work also

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Wheels... who did you buy the Warn stuff from?

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

10. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

and is the 88-91 rotors off of the blazers or of a new(not any more but you get the idea) body style truck?

11. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

the pickup

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ok, so you use the rotors from the pickup, but what about the spindle and hub and everything else that is there? How is all that attached? Does anyone have pics? How about a tech article? This sounds like a very plausible project for the NEAR future on mine, I just burned thru a set of rear shoes in 3 months, and they never even worked well! Discs are the way to go for me, but need more info!

Thanks!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

13. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

From 4 Wheel Parts mail order, a year ago, I think it was $780.00.

14. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

correct me if i am wrong but if it is a 4x4 out of an 88-up truck that means i.f.s., so the roter isn't like typical rotors it is like what was on my old 4x4 s-10 jimmy. where the cv joint goes through a hub that has the studs in it and the rotor just slides over the studs and is held in place by the caliper and the tire after it is tightened...

15. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Using the stock axles, you just remove the the axles to get the backing plates off. Install the new brackets that will hold the caliper and re-install the axles. The rotors go on next and then the calipers. When you put the wheels on, they will hold the rotors in place. The Warn full floater kit includes hubs, spindles, axles, hubs, seals bearings, bolts, etc.and you can opt to use drum or buy the brackets to run disc.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I second that. Tech article on low buck rear disks. [​IMG]

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Leader of the Advance Party for
    the CSA revolution in the PRK!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.handguncontrolinc.com>www.handguncontrolinc.com</a>

17. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i agree that would be cool and pics[​IMG]

77blazer see it at<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</a>

18. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ok, I started the trials on my spare rear diff. It looks like everything will fit properly. This is going to be soo cool. Hey Steve, I will email ya if I have any questions k? Thanks for getting me started.

Later
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

19. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

Steven Chin in the first get board has a tech article on his web page using the TSM system, if anyone is interested.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

20. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

yes they are off ifs, they just slide over your lugs, i just cut my backing plates off w/ plasma cutter to save time. i slid on the rotors, slid the calipers over them (aready had the brackets bolted to them that i drilled and threaded) tacked the brackets in place on the axle tube, then took the caliper and rotor back off and finished welding on the brackets. i put everything back togather, snipped the lead ends off the e-brake cablels, pulled them through the e-brake spring and bracket and put new lead crimps on the end, rebent my stock steel lines and hooked them up, removed the stock proportioning valve and abs system, ran solid lines to the front and the rear, bled the whole thing and it stops great. the only problem i had was one caliper (after a month or so) locked up and i had to get a new one, other than that it has been great. if you have any more ?? e-mail me at motoloco@aol.com