Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM 12 Bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FastBanshee, Sep 4, 2002.

1. FastBanshee

FastBanshee Registered Member

If I upgrade my GM 12 bolt with 30-spline chrome-moly axles and a locker how strong will it be? The truck is not going to be a rock climber but it is going to see lots of trail use and sand dunes. My front is the GM 10 bolt and I plan to put the chrome-moly axles up front also. Will my drive train be strong enough with these up grades?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

IMO if you are worried enough about breaking them, spend the money on the 14 bolt rear for one, and never worry about breakage, and for the front, I'm a little torn on the 44/10 bolt issue, I believe each has its good and bad points, but the D60 is obviously the ultimate there.

But a D44/14bolt combo should be easy to find, have good gears in it, and probably end up being cheaper than chrome moly 10 bolt this, and 30 spline 10 bolt that : )

3. FastBanshee

I I all ready have 35" tires with 15x10 rims with 6 lug. I dont want to go and buy a new set of rims again.

4. dyeager535

Well, you talk to some people on here, and they've spent the money on all the fancy 10/12/44 parts, and still turned around and broken them.

Some people can run around on 10 bolts and never kill them, so who knows what your results will be? I just know that if you pay the money for the good stuff on the "weak" axles, when it breaks, you are out that money, and yer still broke.

5. FastBanshee

Is there a 8 lug to 6 lug conversion out there for the 14 bolt?

6. dyeager535

Umm, lol. That got kinda ugly. If you check back a few months with the search feature, you should find something under 14 6 lug or something similar I bet.

I was contemplating the same thing, but since 10 bolts seem to last as long as I want them too, I doubt I'll have to deal with that conversion.

7. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

there is a gm 14 bolt semi floater axle that has a six lug pattern. made in later year gms. you can find them pretty easy if you just keep an eye out.

8. dyeager535

Yeah but who wants a semi floater? : ) j/k all you SF axle owners.

9. blwnbwtie

blwnbwtie Registered Member

On the 3/4 ton axles you could also use an 8 lug 15" rim my friend is running that right now. You can find those cheap rims for like $40-50 each or search around a bit and find used ones then you would get to keep your tires at least

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

To go back to the original question "How strong will it be?" it will definately be stronger than stock. Now, with Dune use you may have a legitimate argument for going with a Full Floating rear axle such as a 14 bolt. If you are upgrading your 12 bolt, heres what I suggest:

Buy a set of Moser 4340 Axleshafts and the Greene Bearings which are wider than stock. Check Offroad.com/Chevy pages for a similar writeup by Glen Viveiros (Depdog). Buy a Detroit Locker for your 12 bolt and you should have a good setup. Do not waste money on any other locker for this axle - I've tried them, they break! Your 12 bolt should survive with normal trail usage with up to 38" tires depending on your driving style. If you like to ramrod, you will surely break something. I currently have the 12 bolt with Warn Full Floater kit, TSM Disks and Detroit Locker. I know people can argue the 14 is stronger for cheaper and I agree with both. But, I can go anywhere most 1 ton rigs can go without problems. I have friends who atteded the Blazer Bash 02 and ran Moab with a 12 bolt and 37" tires.

I will upgrade to 1 ton someday without a doubt. But, I still rely on my 12 bolt without too much worry. For people just starting out wheeling and learning the ropes - of course you are going to get the "Go to 1 Ton" suggestions and to some it's feasable. Just do what your pocket book can afford without leaving you homeless or hungry. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I've got a set of 12x15 8 lug wheels for sale right now. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif