Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM 12 bolt

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by ABO, Sep 30, 2002.

1. ABO

ABO Registered Member

I'm looking to get a 12 bolt for my 72' cutlass. I found a guy that said he'll do it for $800. That is, clean up a 70' rear end, all new seals, gears, posi. I don't know very much about rears or what to look for. Anyone have any tips or things I should check for and is this price good? Thanks for any help.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think that price is high !!! I would think you should be able to get a 12 bolt out of a salvage yard, regear and posi it for less then that. You might be able to get one that already is posi. What gears do you want in it ???

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Not to bad to have it all done! That is if it's new Posi, new Gears, new Rebuild kit (seals & bearings, exc.).....

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

just a warning. If you are looking at an Olds 12 bolt they are different from the standard gm 12 bolts. The covers look the same, but It really has a 8.2 10 bolt style carrier in it. olds used these from 68-72. there aren't many parts around for this rear. they are different from the 8.2 thats in all the earlier GM's. I got stuffed with one. if you are looking in junk yards, alot of the 70-72 monte carlo's had 12 bolts in them. mostly open carrier, but you can usually buy them for 200 or so. and install new posi/gears in rebuild. I know the prices on these are getting higher. the last one I bought was 550.00 as is with a worn out posi.

5. ABO

ABO Registered Member

A friend of mine put and olds 12 bolt in his GTO and found out that it wasn't easy to find a replacement axl after he snapped the old one. I made sure the 12 bolt was a GM. It's in with 3.73 posi, hellva diffrence.

6. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Man I feel good after reading your post I got mine for my camaro all new stuff (including posi) with new 3.73 gears he even welded the new perches on where I wanted them for 350$ almost forgot it had a new finned aluminum cover too.