Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM 14 Bolt Rear Diff Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wfotyme, Apr 1, 2003.

1. wfotyme

wfotyme Registered Member

I have a 74 K5 that I put 1 ton drive train in. The rear has a 14 Bolt w/4.56 gears. I was heading up the hill when I got a wake up call, the front U-Joint on my rear driveline broke at about 60 MPH and shot my backend off the ground (what a ride!!!!). I had a new driveline built and put a new yoke on. Since then when I let Off the gas, I get a weird sound and vibration. Should I put a new crush sleeve in and torque it? What is the torque specs for the yoke? If that's not it, do you think I might have bent the pinion?

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

owie, i would most definately have that apart and checked out. how bad was the yoke? was it bent in any direction, or did you try to rotate it and see if it was off center at all?

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I think it takes somewhere around 400-500 ft lbs of torque to crush the sleeve. I dont think thats going to be the problem. The bearings are going to get damaged before a crush sleve would fail... Tear that sucker apart and good luck.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I agree with them. I would pop the cover and take a good look around in there.

5. wfotyme

wfotyme Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys. When the driveline grenaded the tabs on the yoke that center the U-Joint were ripped and sheared off....The yoke is probably bent too. I'm tellin' you guys, I went for a ride. I've twisted, bent, pretzled an shot many drivelines in my 55 Chevy Drag Racing an has given me nightmares, but this still haunts me...(Thank God for Harnesses and Cages) Just in case. One thing I forgot to add is that gear oil has been leaking out of the pinion seal since I put the new yoke on. Still need to take it apart huh......

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Damn, I need to put a loop on my truck.

Can you guys say h pipe for the exhaust? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you are VERY lucky you were going uphill, I would bent money its one of the only things that prevented you from going end over end. I have seen cars launched 20 feet in the ar when their driveshaft dropped. Not a pretty sight.