Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM 14bt-Detriot Locker??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yeild2me, Jan 23, 2001.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

did these come with detriots in them? was it an option or what? did any of them come open in a base model 3/4 ton...i looked at one today and pulled the cover and im pretty sure i saw a detriot in there...its on a mid 70's model and seemed in pretty good shape..the gear oil was pretty clean and i dont think it has been changed judging by the dirt that was around the bolts...the guy wants 200 bucks for it....what do you think???

AIRBORNE!!

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I just got a 14 with open carrier,I think most of them were. I'm not sure that they came from the factory with Detroits in them, but maybe someone else knows? If it is a Detroit and it's in good shape, go for it!

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

None came factory with Detroits in them except for the 1984-1987 military CUCVs (one ton 4x4s), those came stock with a Detroited 14 bolt rear and a Trac-lok'd Dana 60 front, and geared 4.56.

ken

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Be sure it's a detroit. More than likely it's the factory limited slip...that one sucks because it's probably worn out. And to put in a detroit, you'll have to have an open 4 pinion carrier, more expense. Just be sure before ya buy. But if it is a detroit, good deal. I paid $350 for my detroit alone!

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

would it be a good deal if its open/ limited-slip? i am just a little worried about my 10 bolt even though it has 30 spline axles....i just put 35's on and dont want to worry about it...know what i mean?? what was steve talking about in his tech story about changing the backing plates???? why is this needed?? i am also going to ask him in the other board, but thought maybe someone here may know..thanks

AIRBORNE!!

6. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

as the one guy was saying they only came in the military 1-tons. I know i was in for ten years and was able to get a hold of some at a DRMO auction. I have a freind with the factory GOV-LOK and it always seems to work well, he follows me everywhere I go with My Blazer, which has the 1-ton stuff. By other buddy also has one of the GOV-LOKS behind a400 horse 429 Ford F-250 and his does fine too and hes running 40 inch Boggers with 3:73 gears.

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Changing the backing plates has to do with running an e-brake. Most folks say you'll need to change them. Mine bolted right back up though. Maybe I was just lucky or it was already modified for me, I didn't complain though.

The only reason I said that about the gov lock is because if you want to run a detroit locker, you'll need to start out with an open carrier. The open carrier has 4 pinion places, where the LSD carrier has 3. The Detroit locker is set up for a 4 pinion carrier. So if your rearend has the factory LSD and you want to install a detroit, you'll need to find an open carrier. Randy's had them new for $200+, I got mine used for $60. Again, happy hunting.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

8. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I have a few pics of a Detroit 14 FF install here:

http://www.off-road.com/chevy

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Ken is exactly right. [​IMG] Only the Military CUCV's came stock with a Detroit in the rear with 4.56 gears. But the Dana 60 Front, it seems that its a toss up, some came with an open carrier and some came with the TracLok. Wierd.
    Boss
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

[​IMG]