Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gm 350 330hp crate motor and cfm-tech?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camok5, Jun 27, 2005.

1. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So my stock engine is getting really tired and burns alot of oil, I am thinking about getting the gm crate engine 330hp. I have read that cfm-tech makes a kit so I can run this engine with my tbi setup. I already have there throtlebody and some other stuff from them and love it. Has anyone run this setup or just the engine in a lifted truck and how does it run? I would love to have more power then the stock engine but not sure if this is a good 4x4 engine? Also I already have headers, dual exhaust, k@n etc...

2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Doggone neighbor......sad to see ya trash that body with the track hoe.
    The GM crate motor will make a fine powerplant for your wagon......
    if that's wahat you want.
    The TBI has it's limits (even after modifications) as to how much HP it will support but you should be happy with the end result,
    1 HP per cubic inch is not outta reach. :)

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm pretty sure that's the same engine that Storm Trooper has under the hood of his beast. He should be able to give you some feedback. :cool1:

Toby (moneypit) has the earlier 300 HP version in one of his rigs and doesn't like the power curve, at least for crawling. The cam comes on HARD and really starts making serious power at around 3K RPM, but the engine doesn't have as much grunt as he would like to have at lower RPM.

4. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

I had a ZZ4 Crate 350 in my 92 GMC Sierra pushing around 355 hp (advertised) that did awesome... but I bent the frame on the sierra... so since I was gonna move the engine to my '54 4x4... I decided to get it bored and stroked to a 383 stroker :D Specs in my signature... but enought gloating. The GM Crate motors are GREAT. My advice though, is to put in the extra green for their 383... it's NICE

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I had the same motor in my 72, carbed. The powerband never really opened up until 3k or so. It was fast, but low-end power was pretty lacking. Maybe with a different cam it would have been better?

6. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Sure... the cam would do a bit, but 350's aren't known for their low end power... that's when you get a BBC... or a 383 :pimp:

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep. GM picked a cam that would make a Camaro with a high stall converter run a quick quarter mile. You can really feel the lack of bottom end when the engine is in a big heavy truck with a stock converter.

But with cams (that we can afford) ;) there's no such thing as a free lunch. A cam that makes loads of low RPM torque will run out of breath before it makes much high RPM horsepower. A cam that makes loads of high RPM horsepower will have too much overlap to make good low RPM torque. Finding a balance that provides a decent amount of both torque and horsepower is the trick. You have to give up something in the process though. :frown1:

There are high tech solutions, such as variable cam timing, variable valve lift, and even electronically controlled valves, but they can't yet be used on our junk without having a Bill Gates sized bank account. :o

8. camok5

So does anyone have any sugestions for good cam to run in this engine that I still could run my tbi with?

9. camok5

Who is running a 383 with a tbi setup?

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

IMO........Just call CFM Tech or Turbo city and build the engine around what they can do for you. Yull get the best results that way. Use stuff they have proven that works and is dependable. They have chips and everything you need. Both compainie have helped Me out with TBI rebuilds that have turned out very well.