Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM 400 to a Ford 205

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by b454rat, Mar 14, 2006.

1. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How do you put these two together?? I have a 4wd version of a 400, as well as a 2wd. From what I've read, all Ford 205s are the same. Anybody have any info?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i think its round adaptor and swap to a gm 32 spline input gear. but dont recall if its the short or long input.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Change the in-put gear to a GM 32 spline and talk with your custom adapter maker about which TH400 output shaft length to use. Note: there are two length 32 spline 205 input gears also so discuss that with the ones making your adapter.
    I would think NWF could get you all set up.
    The Ford 205's do use a round adapter but it is different than what GM used. Might be able to redrill the Ford case and use a 1985 on up GM adapter and long input gear ???

Tom

4. b454rat

I have the newer (86) 400/205, sitting outside. The trans is corroded and has two ears broke off. What sucks is I don't have a Ford case here or I could figure out what I would need. I might just go with a divorced Ford 205, then I wouldn't have to change any driveshafts, as my truck now has a div Dodge 205. Might not even worry about it. If I sell my GM 60, then I would use my HP60, then I would have to figure out the t-case thing.

5. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I asked the same question before, and the results I got back were the th400 adapter to the round gm np205 will fit the ford np 205 case. I believe the long input from the chevy case is needed.

I have a ford case, the round adapter and the long input shaft, I'll have a look tomorrow and post back up.

I'll also see if I can find the thread I posted.

6. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I ttt'd the post I made, I'm on a friends comp and don't know how to copy and paste on a mac:rolleyes:

7. b454rat

That would be cool, appreciate it. Like I said in my last post, not sure what I'm gonna do. I was gonna go with a 4-speed, got all the pieces, but then opted to stay auto, that way I can just bolt it in.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The Ford input is closest in length to the short 32-spline input.

In theory, you should be able to use an 80's TH400 w/NP208 adapter... because a 208 (or 241) is very close for the input length. Just notch for the shift rail. Also, since the GM bolt pattern has a bolt at 6:00 and 12:00 postions, you get some clocking for free. :D

[​IMG]

9. b454rat

I can get one of those adaptors too. I will have to get my hands on one and see what happens. Now all I have to do is get to my buddy's yard which isn't open on weekends....Thanks for the help!!

10. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I had no idea that the GM and Ford pattern were the same . That is GREAT ! The conversion's just keep getting easier.

Tom

11. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

You can put a 32spline input in the Ford case which one (short/long) will depend on the 400 output lenght.Since the 86 400 you have is junk you can use the 2wd with a shaft stickout of 4 1/2" with a short 32spline input.

The bolt pattern on the round pattern GM and Ford cases are the same but the hole spacing is not symetrical which will cause problems with using a GM adapter.I messed with this a couple years ago and my memory is not what it used to be and I HOPE IM WRONG but the GM adapter is not a bolt on deal with just a rail notch.You need to look at that part alittle closer because the hole spacing is off just enough to ruin your day!

I just spent alot of time with 208 adapters and 205s and determined that it can be done but!
    The 208 adapter is only 2 1/2" wide vs 4" with the 205 adapter so this causes clearance issues with the 205 idler shaft/nut on the front of the case as well as the mount hitting.This is using the short foot adapter,so I tried the early tall 208 adapter which solved the mount problem but not the idler shaft hit unless the case was clocked up.The 208 TH400 has a shaft stickout of 2 3/8- 2 7/16 and with the short input gear you only end up with about 1 1/2" spline contact which would probably work ok but I would like to see the full 2" contact but Im no engineer!
    I did fiquire out that I could use the tall 208 adapter with the LoMax hooked to a 4L80 because I could clock the transfer up and the transmission output was longer which gave me full spline contact.

IMG00004.jpg

IMG00005.jpg

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Looking at NWF's Ford/GM dual-patterned adapter plate, you can see two holes are a little closer together than the rest. At least one patern must not be symmetrical. Probably only have to 'ovalize' one hole to make it work ;)

[​IMG]

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you decide to go with the high pinion setup (Ford side) and have a Doubler in your plans, I've got a brand new ORD kit that I don't need anymore.... :deal:

14. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

The GM Round and Ford Patterns are the same BUT they are rotated away from each other at 77degrees, so you will not get a clean direct swap.

5 of the 6 holes are spaced the same, with 1 wider on each pattern, so it is possible to 'hack' it together, round out some holes, but I don't recommend it. We have the resources to mate a Ford NP205 to a 32 spline TH400 cleanly and correctly.

-Kyle
    NWF.

15. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

:confused: I must be missing something :confused:

I can't see a 6-bolt round pattern being out more than 30* left or right. :thinking:

16. b454rat

And I thought this was gonna be easy. I wouldn't mind a doubler, but the money thing is the major factor right now, I don't have any!! I thought I might have my D60 sold out of my truck, but I need to keep the GM outers to put on the HP so I can run the 40x15" boggers I just got. Buyer wanted to do the same thing. I don't think I will do the SAS on my 97 for a while if it all, so I figure sell the GM60 and use the HP60. I *might* have two more HP60s available to me, IIRC they are the newer style, 88-92. If I do go with the HP60, think I will use a div Ford 205, that way I won't have to get new driveshafts, again, and have to worry about hooking the case to the trans. I can sell the 400/205 and recoupe some of the money to get the truck to use the the trans/case. I talked to a welder about the ears and the corrosion, he said that it's a pretty easy fix. The fluid in the trans looked really good, was still red, not burnt. I need to sell some stuff so I can get the other 2 boggers.....Who needs some stuff??

17. NorthWestFab

Although each hole spacing is less the assymetrical pattern is out by 70 odd degrees. This is if you were to not open any holes up.

18. b454rat

Back from near death, but how much would this adaptor/mod be??

19. NorthWestFab

Depends what tailshaft the TH400 is - is you use the short version originally coupled to the NP203, it would save a few bucks as the adaptor is thinner, you'd be looking at about $269 for the adaptor. Let me know if you have a longer tailshaft version (looks like the 205 version from reading the above post) and I'll generate a quote.

You'd need a new inpuut gear and to adress shifters, all of which we can provide.

-Kyle.
    NWF.

20. b454rat

I have the 4wd version of the 400, as well as the adaptor and 205 off the 400. I know I can take the input off the 400/205, and put it in the Ford 205. But how much fab'n to hook the Ford to the 400?? Linkage isn't a problem....