Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM axle widths

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Sep 26, 2000.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Anybody have a good explanation as to why GM put a rear end on thats 2.5 inches shorter than the front? And has anyone tried putting widder tires on the back to comp for this difference?

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

10 and 12 bolt 3" narrower, 14 bolt ff only 2" narrower, I think it was to allow the rear tires to get a fresh bite in snow and mud. I also have heard the one about making it easier to turn corners, but if that was the case, they would have put narrower axles in cars.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

3. Performance Wheel makes a spacer to conpesate for this.
    Happy tails

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

4. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

I've asked about the wider rear tires twice. No one seems to have done it, but several said it should work. There was some concern expressed that you couldn't rotate tires.

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

5. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I have been thinking of putting rims with more offset on the rear to get the tires out.I am thinking of doing this just because I have 3 rims like this and my rear rims are pretty hammered.You couldn't rotate the tires though without have to swap tires and rims.The rims I have are 1" offset out this would get me to only 1" dfference.I Would only do this untill I get some new tires and rims then do the spacer.Going to wear these down first and get a package deal on the tires.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster