Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM body parts supply? UPDATE, 1/4 No longer available

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bablazer73, Jul 18, 2004.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I need a drivers 1/4 panel for my 89. Anybody got a link to where I can buy a NEW GM 1/4? my local dealer doesn't want to discount for me. Want to see if i can get a decent one online. so.. any GM body part links??
    I can get an aftermarket for 315.00 shipped. But would rather have GM.

well, I guess it's official. Unless I find a new old stock, or a used one. The GM 1/4 is discontinued

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

3. bablazer73

Re: GM body parts supply?

well, I checked that site out, And they don't show ANY body panels in the catalog system. So i sent them an e-mail. so we'll see.

Anything else??

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just an off the wall idea, have you tried asking any body shops? They probably get a discount from the GM dealer if they use GM parts sometimes, and they might be able to pass some of that savings on to you.

My local GM dealers are jerks too...full retail even if you have a list of stuff over $1000. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

hell there is a place you can ask for the number in information...
    Certafit in Pennsauken NJ.. I believe they mail stuff..

I got 2 doors @ $53 each.. I think fenders are $40 and a hood is $80.. complete bed is $800.... Not as strong metal as OEM but I like it... I have the doors and going to get a fender and maybe the hood this week... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

There is a certafit place about 5 miles from me. New grille for my '86 for $20. Not bad at all.

Had to do a little trimming, but for $20, who's complaining?

With sheetmetal, especially quarters, I'd go with OEM or cut one off a wrecked truck. I have yet to hear of a major body panel that wasn't OEM, fit with NO problems. (of course, half of the problem could be the age of the vehicles we are dealing with, and the abuse they've seen in this many years)

7. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

Does it really need to be an official GM part, or will a "reproduction" do? If so, you might try Chevy Part X or Chevy Duty or American Classic Truck Parts
    Those are just a few of the sites I have come across. There's probably a ton more. Also, for GM official parts, you might try GM Parts Depot, although I think that might be more of an engines and accessories page.

8. bablazer73

I want it to be straight!! Thats why i want an original GM part. I have used aftermarket panels. Of "good quality" and they didn't fit that well. My 73 has new 1/4's on it. the drivers side fit like crap!! By the time we had the lower front section on and pulled to put that reinforcment bracket on, there was a buckle in the side. we could either hang the 1/4 without it, but then the lower part would shake all over!! we "opened" up the whole, but that didn't help much. It was just shapped all wrong!! The there is still a buckle in the panel, but that truck is just a trail truck. so i really didn't care. it got flat black paint and cut-out flares anyways. But i really want the 89 to be straight.

9. bablazer73

I have delt with Chevy duty and american classics. Both offer aftermarket 1/4's. I checked out the other sites, and Chevy part x, doesn't do any body parts. And GM parts direct, only shows after market "capa" certified, but NO 1/4 panels!!

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

11. bablazer73

YEAH!! thats what I'm looking for!! sent an email off to them. They are only 4 hrs south of me. I could even run down and get it!!

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

New doors for 53 bucks!!--to think I spent all day yesterday inventing a new door bottom from galvanized heating duct,and the cab corners too! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif--I still have the other side to do today,if the rain stops--and my sore back and legs will allow me to!.I might just take the door off and bring it in the shop--I think working on the ground while its attached to the truck is a good way to kill your back and legs.I've never tried swapping the window and all the "guts" to new door shell--I never bothered with new doors cause my trucks are plow rigs that get beaten up pretty bad by mother nature--is it a real pain to put all the rubber strips and window mechanisms in??.I wish I could just find a couple of decent complete doors in the boneyard,its so much easier to bolt them on and be done,but in new england its rare to find any good doors,and if you do,they usually get 150 bucks apeice.I'm not much of a body man,especially when it comes to bondo--I have no patience,it seems futile to spend days sanding and painting,and being anal about it--when its only going to rust out again in record time,or get dented anyway. Anyone have any tricks on how to get the doors back on the truck alone??? I tried putting a stud in one of the bolt holes,and got it on,but it was a bitch!--I was almost tempted to use my engine crane to hold it up through the open window with a strap--but it was buried in the back of the shop,would have taken a lot of moving stuff around to get at it--any ideas???? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

13. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

well i called today.. screw doin body work... im gonna buy new parts...

fenders $44 each
    hood $75 on backorder
    tailgate $45
    bed panels $220 each
    /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

14. bablazer73

well, It looks like GM has discontinued the 1/4 panel. I tried to get them to search, but it came up zero. I guess I'll be stuck with aftermarket. like it or not!

15. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

why not get one off a junkyard rig? or someone who is parting theres out?

16. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

plenty of rust free ones in az yards.. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

17. bablazer73

I WISH!!
    Just about everytruck around here is completly rusted out from the freakin salt by the time they hit the scraper!!

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

as far as i know they have not made gm panles for years, go to the dealership and order and you get thin chinees crap. so inless you find some one with some nos stuff, you are sol.

the fiberglass ones dont look to bad never seen it on a truch though.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you tried calling any GM dealers??.I was suprised to find many new parts that were on the "obsolete"list at Doble Chevrolet in Manchester NH--they had 57 chevy fenders hanging on the wall at the parts counter!,and my brother found a rare front sump oil pan and pick up tube/screen for a 66 nova there,NOS.It might be worth giving them a call--I think most GM dealers can do a search on their computer to see if there is any NOS stuff left in stock. Also look in Hemmings Motor News,many listings there for NOS sheetmetal--I suppose the price might be steep though!.

20. bablazer73

I have contacted SEVERAL dealers, local and out of state. keep coming up with the same Not available!