Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM Corp. 14 bolt SF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86blazerk5, Sep 1, 2000.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

How common are they, could I find one in a juck yard. I have to replace my warn rear 10 bolt. I would love to put a 14 bolt on but i cant buy new wheels for the 8 lug pattern, so i was wondering about the SF with the 6 lug pattern. otherwise I willgo with a 12 bolt. i am going to buy it from a juck yard. Let me know what you thoink!
    Ike

Jeep, what every boy dreams of... K5 what every man owns!!!

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>the 6-lug sf's were made after 88 so they won't bolt in. You could find a pre-88 sf with 8 lugs and get 6 lug shafts and brakes, but theres been talk of a 6 lug parts being made for the 14 FF. Donovan says he will make some more. Heres what it looks like

[​IMG]

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

3. 86blazerk5

oh well,
    I was not aware that is was only made after 88. i read about Donavins post but that is to in depth for me, i wa hopeing to just pull a good from a juck yard and bolt up. I will just stick with a 12 then. I only need a 12 for what I do, i just wanted the 14 in case I decide to beef up latter or so when I sell it, (a long time from now), i can say that it is already built up. thanks anyway!
    Ike

Jeep, what every boy dreams of... K5 what every man owns!!!

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have one of the 14s/f rears, it is an 8 lug, but he perches are the right distance. If you can find one cheap enough, the 6 lug axles are only $88ea. from National Drivetrain.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. 86blazerk5

does national driveline have a web site, and are the shock mounts also the same? i need the entire rear end, certainly that isnt just 88 dollars, i was planning on buying one from a junk yard if I knew it would fit.
    Thanks
    ike

Spreading The K5 Gosple!

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Did the 88 and up burbans come with a 6 lug sf? I know a junkyard around here I've been talking to that has a 89 burban and I was gonna get the axles from it. I thought all 14 bolts were 8 lug, so now I'm curious if the burbans came 8 or 6. How bout the dana 44. Did it come in both 6 and 8?

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

7. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>That Burb might have a 6 lug rear, but I don't know for sure. If not, then just get the shafts and drums and it should bolt up. Both the 10 bolt and the 44 came in 6 and 8 lug. The only differnce is the backing plates, hubs, and rotors.</font color=blue>

8. joe84bb

joe84bb Registered Member

I got mine out of a 1991 2500 series 2 wheel drive. It didn't bolt right up (of course), but all that was required was moving the spring perches and shock mounts by a local welding shop. My u-joint is an adapter model -1/2 ton on two sides and 3/4 ton on the other two. I did this for a reason. I could've taken my driveshaft to a local fabrication shop and had them replace my end with a 3/4 ton end (to use a regular part # and to add the strength of a larger yoke) but now I know that if I put too much of a load on my drivetrain it will be more likely to break at this easily accessible place rather than inside my rear or tranny.

I know just enough to know that I'll never know enough.

9. joe84bb

joe84bb Registered Member

oh, yeah. Mine is a semi- floater.

I know just enough to know that I'll never know enough.

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Didn't some Burbs come with 5-lug SF rears?

11. 86blazerk5

ok, so you guys are saying that there are 6 lug 14 bolt rears out there, that would bolt up if i got the spring perches moved. or would i also have to have my drive shaft yoke changed?... anyone know for sure if this is posible without to much work. If it is, I will just get an old 12 bolt! Help!
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gosple!

12. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

86, okay, there are two 6 lug 14 bolts.
    -One is the big, FF that ggallin and Donovan are talking about. It's an 8 lug 14 Bolt with the hub milled down so it can fit the 6 lug pattern. I was considering it, but it costs a bunch, and I don't like the idea of not being able to buy every part for it from NAPA or Kragen. If you want true BEEF, and have the cash, it's the choice for you. I decided that I would just go with a 6 lug SF 14 because it was cheaper, had more ground clearance, and I didn't want to run more than 35" tires.
    -The second axle is the 6 lug 14 bolt Semi Floater that I just mentioned. You can find them under 4x4 IFS heavy half tons (although they're rare), 4x4 light duty 3/4 tons, and I would imagine since all Chevy trucks are 6 lug now, under 99-up 2wd LD 3/4 tons. It will handle up to a 35" no problem, and I'm told should do 38"'s too. The spring pads and shock mounts are where they would be on a IFS 1/2 ton 10 bolt. So it would be like putting a post 87 (91 on Blazers/Subs) 10 bolt on an earlier truck. Whatever is involved I don't know. If you can find it, I remember 4Wheel and Offroad doing an article about this swap (but I can't remember if it was 6 or 8 lug) from a 90's truck into a 80's Suburban back in late 98 early 99. May wanna check it out.
    Hope this helps

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Gibson, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

14. 86blazerk5

thanks AJM, thats what i needed to know, know, does anyone know whats involved in swaping a late modle axle into an older chevy? shock monuts? spring perches?

Spreading The K5 Gosple!

15. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>The spring perches and shock mounts have to be cut and re-welded in the right position.</font color=blue>

16. 86blazerk5

thanks guys

Spreading The K5 Gosple!