Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM D70 info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by prjt_blzr, May 20, 2003.

1. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

O.K. Now that I got my K5 running, it is time to finish the driveline. I have located a D70 from a '90 GM 3/4T (so I'm told). I would like to set this axle up with disk brakes. Does anyone other than TSM ($$$) have a bracket kit to do this? Also, is there anything to be aware of on the GM D70 vs other D70s?
    Thanks,

Mike

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I believe TSM is going to be one of the cheaper companies to offer a whole kit for the D70. Is your axle from a dually or single wheel truck? 2wd or 4wd (no difference, just curious)?

Double check the axle itself, it may be a D70HD. I know GM used the D70 instead of 14 bolts in some single wheel applications from 88~90 or so. To verify which axle you have get the Bill of Material number off of the axle tube and research HERE.

If the axle is indeed an HD some of the bearings are larger than most other D70's so shop for parts carefully by exact application, don't let anyone assume they know what you have.

Also, if it is an HD then you most likely will not find a disc brake kit. If this is the case you can fab your own kit using existing Dana parts or adapting aftermarket parts for another kit (D60, 14 bolt, etc). I have an HD and built my own kit from front D60 parts, there's a link in my sig to my sight - look at the Projects page.

Hope this helps some.

3. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I'm told that this is out of a '90 3/4T 2WD with a 454. I'm going to check this out tomorrow morning and try to get more info on it. The BOM link will certainly help.

Thanks!!

I'll post back with what I find.
    Mike

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Watch out for the D70's used in the newer body style trucks of that era ( 1988 and up )in the early years GM used an odd version of the D70. Some of them were D70-3's and that is not always the one to have .A B.O.M. # should answer all your questions about the Dana axle.
    Good luck , Tom

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The wheel ends on a GM DRW Dana 70 mimic the DRW 14-bolt ends EXACTLY. You can simply use an aftermarket disc kit intended for a DRW 14-bolt.

6. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

O.K. Here's the deal. Lying SOB......

I go to the JY that has this axle and get a line of bull about how rare this axle is and how he can get $1k for it. I go out to measure it and it is 65" WMS to WMS. While it is for a GM application it is for the new body style not the old body style and was out of a 1T not a 3/4T. The model is a D70-3HD. The BOM was not readable on the axle tube as it was not stamped very deep. The R&P looked good but the spiders had seen some better days. There was orange RTV EVERYWHERE. I did not check the spindles. My guess is that this was in a very hard working 1 ton.

Short answer is that I will continue to look for a good D70 to start with. Any recomended donor vehicles???

Oh, The tube diameter is 3.5" and the brake flange is identical to a 14BFF. The perches are about 48" apart with some other flat plate welded to the axle tube where the perches would need to go for our applications.

I stopped at another JY to see what they had and only located one D70 from a '96 3/4T with a V10. It is 71" from WMS to WMS.

Thanks for the help!!
    Mike

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Those extra "plates" on that D70 are factory bumpstops. All the rear ends have them for that style truck.

Watch out - many Dodge Dana 70's are 32-spline.

87-older F350's and some 80-87 F250's are good places to find a 35-spline SRW Dana 70.

8. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the application info. Do you happen to know the width of the F350 axles?
    Mike

9. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I would like to again thank John for the info he has shared. I am building a D70HD from an early 80s truck. I will be posting lots o pics. I'v been fabbing a disc brake conversion for it....we will see how it works out. If you werent soooo far away I would gladly help you get a D70HD from around here.

10. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

Guys, thanks for the help!! I have some good ideas on where to start now and knowing that it can be done certainly helps. I just need to get some time off now to go looking in some local JYs for a good starting axle. I'll post back when I get this sorted out.
    Maryland is not THAT far away. I get to my parent's home in Pittsburgh in under 20 hours from here. Of course, that's not in a truck...........

Mike