Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM factory radios.... Aux inputs????

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Emmettology 101, May 25, 2005.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hello all,

I have a 99 Tahoe with the double din factory tape deck(not Bose) and the auxiliary CD player(in dash).... Was wondering if there were any newer factory GM units that would swap into my dash that play MP3's, WMA's? And possibly also have an auxiliary input on the front face for something like an Ipod????

Anyone? :D

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Never seen one. Heck, why not go aftermarket ?? I've seen quite a few aftermarket head units with auxiliary input. In all honesty, I think it would be cheaper too go aftermarket, and you'd get a higher quality better sounding head unit.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I was just looking for something cheap off ebay. :D Dont really need the aux input as I dont have an ipod or anything, but it would be nice. I do burn Cds however. Although the ones i have burnt so far seem to work fine. :dunno: They're not mp3's though...

Thought about aftermarket, just dont like the looks of the adapters. Pioneer makes a few decent double dins though... :thinking:

The one reason i was thinking about the aux input is for a sirrius or XM radio... May look at one of those sometime down the road but I imagine they hook up pretty easily to the factory stuff...

Thanks.. :thumb:

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear ya. I get the head units with the aux input just for future upgrades like satilite radio or a Ipod. I kind of like the dask kit for my aftermarket stereo. Has a cubby-hole for storage of small items. [​IMG]

5. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

Not being a huge car audiophile anymore has changed my perspective on what I really need in a deck. My rig has an Aiwa deck, front and rear rca outs and a separate rca sub out with a built in sub crossover in the deck, plays MP3 encoded CD's and has an AUX input for anything I want, not just our iPod but our Sat. unit and an old Sony cassette walkman for any audio books I get a deal on. It also has a small remote which is nice for the people in the back if I'm busy driving. Ohh... the AUX input is great with the portable DVD player as well.

All in all the deck has been great (had it a little over a year) dosent skip, at least nothing I've thrown at it so far makes it skip and the sound is acceptable. Paid $150 for the unit at WorstBuy and got the extended warranty for when and if it breaks, all in all for under $200 out the door, I'm happy and its very versatile.

OHHHHH... and possibly its best feature... it has a volume KNOB that you turn, we hates the volume buttons now we do.

Now, it is a single DIN size so you'd have to use or make a mounting kit but these units are alot less than the double DINs I've seen that have compairable features.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Think remote.

7. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

Periphial makes cables that plug directly into your AUX port and have different types of inputs, like RCA, cd changer, etc. You could extend the RCA to an inconspicuous place and plug your ipod or mp3 player into there.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The easist way is to.Just get a wireless FM adapter for a i pod or MP3 player
    There are lots of companies that make wireless FM adapters for I pods and MP3 players. They work good unless you live in a real big city with lots of FM stations and interference.

For ipods i think the Itrip or AirPlay are both good. You can get them on ebay for around 20.00. Just do a search for iTrip or AirPlay.
    For MP3 do a search for: MP3 fm transmitters. There are more than you can shake a stick at.

Clicky:http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005