Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gm ford, dodge comparison

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by sandracer0004, Feb 22, 2004.

1. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

so i went looking for new trucks today to tow my trailer with.

test drove an 04 super duty, 04 duramax, and an 04 dodge HO diesel.

gotta say that new ram spanks the competition. felt like i was getitng on the freeway with a camaro! was able to hi 75 by the time i got on the free way from dead stop! about 200yds! and crusiing at 75 will still pin you in your seat! only complaint about dodge is their "crewcab" still lacks in back seat room!

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

did you look at the ford 6.0 or 7.3??

the 6.0 is the stronger of the 2 but it has had some oil leaks and the 04 is the modle to get if you are leaning to a ford

and the ram i like the moter but the truck is not for me no stile and too little leg room --- i passed on getting one /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

i did get a 2002 ford 7.3 X works for me /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The thing that really sucks about those 3 choices is that...
    Chevy has the best overall truck as far as room and creature compforts but the the motor is the least appealing out of the 3 not to mention IFS. The ford is just OK but has the best available gear ratio(4.30) but the new 6.0 and torque shift tranny don't seem any better than the D-max to me. And last Dodge has a piece of crap truck but by far the best motor. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Just if chevy would get it together and put in an inline 6 catipillar and they would top everything! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Amen! That tiny crew cab bites. Why would Dodge develop this new crew cab body knowing full well they are competing with Ford and Chevy and still give away 6-9 inches of cab space /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Dodge would have my money today if they had enough room in back for real people. Great axles, motor and a good looking truck , but just won't work as a crew cab! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. badassblazer03

badassblazer03 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Chevy has the best overall truck as far as room and creature compforts but the the motor is the least appealing out of the 3 not to mention IFS. The ford is just OK but has the best available gear ratio(4.30) but the new 6.0 and torque shift tranny don't seem any better than the D-max to me. And last Dodge has a piece of crap truck but by far the best motor. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Just if chevy would get it together and put in an inline 6 catipillar and they would top everything! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

THEY WOULD ONLY TOP EVERYTHING IF THEY PUT IN STRAIGHT AXLES. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

IMO I'd rather have the IFS.
    1. If I bought a new truck, I wouldn't wheel it, so I don't need a solid axle. I would only use the 4WD on muddy, snowy roads etc...nothing hardcore by any means
    2. It would be a daily driver, so smooth ride is a plus
    3. It would be a tow rig, since I would be getting knocked around in the K5(solid axle) all day, I'd like a smooth ride(IFS) on the way home.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

THEY WOULD ONLY TOP EVERYTHING IF THEY PUT IN STRAIGHT AXLES. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    WELL DUH..... you say "axles" and there is a rear strait axle under them already besides you will never see a solid front axle under a new chevy from the factory again. Yes it would be nice to have a solid axle because it would make them a hell of a lot easier to lift and withstanding big tires but like I said...it won't happen. If I buy a new chevy I am going to strait axle it if I run big tires.

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If I buy a new chevy I am going to strait axle it if I run big tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

YEAH /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif But how about Coilovers /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif, not Leaf Springs. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If I buy a new chevy I am going to strait axle it if I run big tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

YEAH /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif But how about Coilovers /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif, not Leaf Springs. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't worry, I would 4 link that [darn] with some mean coils and huge 2" to 2 1/2" seamless DOM tubing for the links. I will probably buy one of the new 04' SRW crew cab long bed 1 tons one of these days
    HP ford D60
    crazy 4 link front & back
    the usual "goodies" for the duramax
    Escalade front clip(I hate the avalanche clip /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif)
    38" SSR's
    and of course some 16.5x14 welds. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

AWESOME! Yeah instead of doiong a SAS on the HD when I get one, Im gonna run the IFS with coilovers and 4 link in the rear!
    I Already did a SAS on my buddies truck, but I want to do one for me. Since I really like blazers, I was thinkin about a Tahoe to do a SAS and put in the SKY!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    AWESOME! Yeah instead of doiong a SAS on the HD when I get one, Im gonna run the IFS with coilovers and 4 link in the rear!
    I Already did a SAS on my buddies truck, but I want to do one for me. Since I really like blazers, I was thinkin about a Tahoe to do a SAS and put in the SKY!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Why do you wan't to run the IFS in the front? A tahoe would be fawkin' bad! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

Honestly, when i spend 30k on a truck I dont feel like spendin 6k on a solid axle. IFS rides better, im not gonna wheel a brand new (well '02) truck. Yeah I keep thinkin about a Tahoe, one with a center diff 14bolt like im building for my blazer!! If you havent realized by now, I like em in the SKY!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Honestly, when i spend 30k on a truck I dont feel like spendin 6k on a solid axle. IFS rides better, im not gonna wheel a brand new (well '02) truck. Yeah I keep thinkin about a Tahoe, one with a center diff 14bolt like im building for my blazer!! If you havent realized by now, I like em in the SKY!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    No cut fenders here! Having 10" and 35's...you can tell I agree. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

I would rather have a solid axle because it costs less and is easier to lift them. There is a HUGE cool factor of having a solid axle 88' and later truck and I would do plenty of Pismo Beah wheeling, back to back pulls, and truck pulls so a D60 would be kind of important. Plus IFS can't handle big tires very well and likes to come out of alignment and wear the crap out of front tires. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif