Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM gets a big fat F on the 80s plastic shields under saddle tanks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jan 1, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hmm well i decided to yank that ungly black shiled from under my driver side saddle tank today, and as i thought would happen a ton of mud and jnk came down with it and bottom of tank is really rusty,
    so i was like ok good thats taken care of, so i just now started rough sanding bottom of tank and such and now i see that the tank is junk, its ate through bad, big holes so humm..

so i go to pass side and i smell gas, its wet, i take and pop shile doff front end of the tank and pull it down and there junk and well gas too! hum... entire bottom of tank is soaking with gas, so humm...
    thats crazy. that wont be lasting too long, i have scrapped so many saddle tanks in the past its not evne funny, never have had a rusted out one like this, and now i dont have any from the past that i could have swapped under this truck,

GM gets a big fat F for tank shield design in at least the 80s!

F!!!!!!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ventilation and drainage...two big things that really help prevent rot. The whole run of 73-91 GM trucks had problems with not enough ventilation or proper drainage everywhere...not just tank shields.

All those fru-fru shields and guards and crap underneath my truck have been removed and scrapped. I want easy access to all the underbody areas so it can be washed easily. Those guards are meant to keep salt and mud out but all they do is trap the bad stuff, and prevent you from cleaning it off properly.

The only guard I still have is the steel tank skid plate, but the sides of that are open and there's at least 1/2" of air between the tank and skid...it can be easily cleaned now and then.

How about all the bare uncoated steel in the body itself? How F'in dumb was that on GM's part? All the insides of stuff like rockers is bare and uncoated. Is it any wonder they rotted in months?

I love these trucks, but GM did a really sh!tty job designing and building them.

Rene

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have to agree

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On some years I think those areas were uncoated. But if you go look at the chevy brochure page, I think you'll see where GM started using the "coated body parts" as a selling point. I recall one diagram where it shows what kind of coating was used in what areas. Of course it's not like they galvanized them or anything that sturdy, but they did do *something* later on.

As to the sand and mud and what not, crawl into your rear wheelwells, and look what stops the stuff from the tires from getting slung around underneath. Nothing. If you put a shield on the FRONT of the rear tire opening (inside the wheelwell, not so it sticks out or anything) you won't get ANYTHING thrown under there. You can do the same on the back of the wheelwell as well. I did the front of the rear wheelwell, and I can drive in the rain, and look up underneath there (in the rocker area) and it's bone dry. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I don't think the front wheel "spray" issue can be solved as easily, as the inner fender pretty much extends to the bottom of the body. Some small mudflaps or something would probably help here too, but it might look dumb.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yeap..my truck came with twin tanks with the gaurds..tookem of and the tanks..one had a hole in it i could fit my fist though. replaced them with a single 19 gallon on the pass. side..with no damn gaurd ot collect rot..also took out all my carpet and everything i could think of that collected rot...i try and keep my truck as ventalated as possible...the medal has to breath! lol i took the carpet out just in time as my floors have light surface rust on the top inside which soon would have turned into holes.. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif