Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gm going big

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DEISEL, Sep 30, 2002.

1. DEISEL

DEISEL Newbie

I've got an 87 g.m.c custom deluxe w stock 305 and everything else is stock. it is a 1/2 ton (not exactly what I wanted to build up) I was hoping for a 3/4 ton and go big block but I bouhgt the truck as an every day driver back and forth from the driiling rigs i was working on, and I got a good deal. the truck is in good shape. I was going to sell it and buy an older 3/4 ton so I could go big block with a little heavier suspension because I am extremely hard on equipment when I go out. But I overheated it when i was out last time and warped the head so i will never get out what I would have to put in so i guess I am keeping it.
    so what I am looking for is tips and problems I should watch for while I am building up. I want to go big block and i would like to put under 1 ton or 3/4 ton at least dif's. i would like to go up but not crazy i would like to run 35, 12.50s with out any problems. how high do u recommend. what is the best way to run a duel battery duel altenator system. any ideas or expeiriences. how many probs do u see with the big block and the dif swap. also to go from throttle body back to mechanical how much headache is that. I would really appreciate any input from other people who like and know trucks thanks.

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Well if you wanted 3/4 ton consider yourself good. 1/2 ton and 3/4 tons are the exact same frame wise. Go ahead and find a 3/4 ton parts truck and grab diffs and suspension. For functionability i'd go with 6inches all spring lift...should keep you happy and no fender trimming or very little with your 35's...I am going 4" with 35's but I think the sawzall can be my friend.

3. DEISEL

DEISEL Newbie

thanks i figured it was'nt going to be to bad, thanks for your input it is appreciated.

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

First of all, fill out your profile.

Everything should bolt in with little or no modifications. You can do the engine and axle swap, but it would be best to find a parts truck with everything still on it, it will be a lot easier if you do.

The main difference between a one ton as far as measurements and a 1/2 or 3/4 ton is that the rear axle spring perches are in different locations and the hubs are different on duallies.

5. DEISEL

DEISEL Newbie

not quite sure how to fill out profile and thanks for the info. probably just going to go with 3/4 ton difs thanks.

6. DEISEL

DEISEL Newbie

got the profile thing figured thanks

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

No problem. It basically all comes down to how much money you want to spend and what you want.