Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM Goodwrench 350 Crate Engine?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Dec 25, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Anyone using one of these older 2 piece rear main seal 350's in their newer GM truck? I need to get something for my 92' FS Blazer.

GMGOODWRENCH 350

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you've got the $$$$$, get the GM 383HT.

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Peter, I just recently put one in my 1980 Blazer that is intended to be driven daily on the street. Its no race engine but is smooth and dependable. The price was about $1185.00 if I remember correctly from a local Chevy dealer.

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

got one with stock manifolds (actually halfway through putting on headers. . . came to boards to ask question /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ) and stock Q-jet and i swear that engine is underrated. with 3.73s, in first/low in my SM465 i could idle forward then stomp the skinny pedal and spin my 39s. that engine is a GREAT engine and by FAR the best deal you'll find. anyway, the old ones were proven to be underrated by 30 horsepower, and i swear these are too.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I have bought 2 of them over time.
    Very good engine with a 3yr 36K warranty. Just rebuilt one of them. Very good core (except the heads).

Chevy High Performance did a budget "add-on" build of one of these and it was very impressive. I dont think you can go wrong for the price and reliability.

SOme good info on the basic engine:
    Goodwrench Buildup

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Nice Avatar! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

"As you can see from the Test 1 results, the engine performed much better than GM's stock 190 hp rating, making 239 hp at 4,300 with peak torque coming in at 3,700 rpm with 324 lb-ft"

That's the old model i was talking about that was underrated.

8. camarine

camarine Registered Member

Have been running mine in the Jimmy for about 5 months now. Not a lick of problems out of the motor and my truck runs great. Only problem I have with it is the power band is a little high. I am running the Edelbrock Performer Intake, 600 carb, and flowmaster 40 dual exhaust. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It sucks some gas with the 35's though, I average about 8-10mpg. Strong little motor...... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If you get one make sure you document everything you replaced. Because if you dont your warranty will be toast. Also make sure you replace the oil cooler and flush the lines because of the warranty. I would say they are a pretty good engine, a guy at work installed one in his el camino and loves it. If I just wanted a stock replacement engine thats what I would get.

10. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

You can't use this engine without some mods. It's not for fuel injected engines. I think the heads and intake are different. It has a 2 piece main, which means you'll have to replace your flywheel.

This is more what you are looking for.

11. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I would like it to work with my current TBI setup if possible. I am still up in the air whether I should keep the truck or not, but if I do I would like to freshen up the engine since it has 120k on it now.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

intakes can be redrilled to fit just fine. The heads on the Goodwrench motor should be much better than the stock TBI heads. Stock TBI heads are about the worst heads GM has produced on top of v8s.

13. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

But if you use a different long block, you don't have to drill the intake or the heads. If you are going to bother swapping engines, I would also get the Vortec heads with your setup.

GM makes a crate engine, 12355345 that has all this without drilling. It has a one piece main seal, and should work ok with FI.

Crate engine

14. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

If you install that motor in a 92, the warranty is void. Its the wrong application. Its not the dealers call to warranty or not but GM's. If it's the wrong part number for the application they will kick it back. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I forget who it was, but he was having big problems with that engine and factory FI. Ran really lean and burn up the pistons. you could prolly use it with a chip and different injectors.

16. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

I have put one in my 77 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif two years now have not had any problem at all.I have headers and a q-jet with a action + manifold and it does have all the power I need.I was going to build a 350 went through 2 blocks that were no good and figured out with all the machine shop costs and parts and the time to get it done.It wes the best way for me at the time.I payed out the door 1200 that was with a new balancer.the hei is the only thing I had any problems with under the hood.Best thing I did so far. mike m

17. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I forget who it was, but he was having big problems with that engine and factory FI. Ran really lean and burn up the pistons. you could prolly use it with a chip and different injectors.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That was daswon444, but he wasn't running the mostly stock crate engine being discussed in this thread. He had the 350HO engine, which is designed to crank out 330 HP. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The Goodwrench 350 (at one time GM called these their "Targetmaster" line of engines) is basically a brand new, stock replacement engine, for pre-EFI factory applications. It has the 2-piece rear main seal and non-TBI heads, so some work is required to the TBI intake manifold to get it to fit the heads.

18. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I understand that Harry. I was replying to k5guyva who was suggesting to use the HO 350 instead of the Goodwrench.

19. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

My point was that GM makes a replacement motor for his application. (I have a 86 which puts me in the middle of the engine changeover. I have a 1 piece main seal and no FI. That means I'm hosed no matter what.) So, he can switch to the 2 piece main seal which requires replacing the flywheel or flexplate, butcher either his intake or his heads, or just buy an engine from GM that really fits.

20. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that happens. It could be caused by using stock timing too. Depending on the setup, the timing can cause it to run really hot.