Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM Goodwrench Performance 350 Crate Motor

Discussion in 'Engine | Tranny | T-case' started by 86jimbo, Mar 29, 2006.

1. 86jimbo

86jimbo Registered Member

I have a 92 model GM Performance 350 crate motor for sale. The engine run perfect and strong. The engine comes complete with all the accessories, ready to drop in and run. I took it out of my 86 Blazer last night, because I have a vortec 350 ready to be installed.
    The block # is 10066038.
    I will take 550 for the complete engine. The engine has 37579 miles on it. I have the reciept of the swap into my blazer when this engine was put in brand new.
    If you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

If you were closer this would be very......very tempting:doah:

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Where in Arkansas are you? I might make the trip.

4. 86jimbo

Im located in Fort Smith, AR.

5. 86jimbo

I just got the info for the motor (called my local gm parts guy).

-Gm Goodwrench Performance Crate Motor
    -92 Block 350 4 Bolt Main
    -Performance Factory Heads-300hp

Like I said, this motor runs perfect! Its just doing me no good sitting in my garage. It will do someone else better by running for them than sitting for me.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Too far for me, thanks.

7. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Off subject, but how hard is the vortec swap. I'd love to have some details as I am looking at the same idea. aka: cost, where is the engine from, ect. Let me know, if you have time. Thanks,

--Adam

8. 86jimbo

the vortec swap is not very hard at all. The vortec 350 is the easiest, but the motor is real hard to find. I pulled mine out of a 99 Suburban that was wrecked in the back side (I have the inside on finding hard-to-find 4x4 stuff).
    When buying a motor like this, make sure you get the whole engine wiring harness and computer. If you cannot get the ecm and harness, try Ebay, but you will be paying a little more seperate from engine. When I pulled the old motor, I went ahead and changed the transmission pump seal ($1.99 at transmission shop, looks like a axle seal on a 10 bolt) and put a new torque converter in (just a slide in slide out deal). If you have an 86 like me or newer, you will have alot of wires to deal with that you will not be using on the new motor. I just put them in wire looms and dressed the engine compartment up while I can get in there (its not every day that you can stand where the engine was and deal with all the wire monstrocity that GM blessed these vehicles with). The new vortec harness was reworked by a friend of mine that does it for a living. He takes the harness and pulls everything you dont need out of it, plugs it up to the motor and ecm and all you have to hook up is five wires (yes only five wires).The only original wires that you will be utilizing is your gauge wires(volt,oil,temp,ect).
    When you set your new vortec in the vehicle, the motor mounts will be the same (thats why its best to have a vortec 350 instead of a vortec gen 3 engine which requires alot more work). When you hook up the wires from the new engine (on my setup) there is one wire for ignition, for B+, tach, starter, and fuel pump. By the way, you will have to run a 60psi fuel pump. I got mine from Autozone (its a inline, framerail mount).
    If you have at least a 2 row radiator from your old setup, you can still use it.

I hope this helps you out on how this works. If you have any questions, Ill be happy to answer them. After I get my front clip back on, Ill post pictures of the finished blazer.

9. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Great! That sounds a little bit easier (in theory) than I had imagined. You said it's easier to install a vortec 350 than a gen 3. I'm assuming that the gen3 motors are from 00'-07' models? I have an 81' blazer so I imagine my set up would not be to different from yours. So you used your stock gas tank and just added an inline fuel pump? How did you go about finding the donor vehicle? And, if you don't mind, how much did the set up run you? Thanks for the abundance of info so far!

--Adam

10. 86jimbo

any gm 5.3,6.0,8.1, and the new 2007 6.2L are all gen 3. You have to make new motor mounts on frame, and have a spacer kit for the flywheel.
    you can find a donor vehicle just about at any scap yard. Have them look for a vehicle that has rear damage, so you know the motor is ok.
    The price will vary. My swap cost about $2800.

11. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

I see the engine is a 92 block, but would it be compatible with the computer and electronics for the TBI truck engine with centerbolt heads? Reason I ask is I have a 91 Burban that I'd like to swap a fresher 350 into to run for a while while I do some suspension work and other mods.

did you swap a TBI system into the 86 along with the engine, or did you just run a carb setup?

If the engine could be swapped directly into place of the 350 in my Burb and be compatible with the electronics.....I am in North Texas and definetly interested

12. 86jimbo

Im not sur if its compatable or not. Im not too familiar with the tbi setup since Ive never run it. I know that TPI wont be a biggie, but dont know about TBI. Im sure there is alot of people that could answer that in CK5. I just ran a carb setup.

13. G-Force8

G-Force8 1/2 ton status

ok, so what were the schematics when you bought the engine? Was it just an off-the shelf GM goodwrench longblock? I need to know what model the cylinder heads are. Any info you have from your purchase of it and any part humbers would be helpful

thank ya