Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM headunit interchangability....

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Emmettology 101, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Anyone know of a site that tells you what headunits you can interchange between GM vehicles and years?

Have a 99 Tahoe and was looking at some cheap ones on Ebay.. Some of the newer units(2k+) are nicer, but dont know if they are plug and play.... Or if they will bolt up..

Dont really want to go aftermarket cause I am cheap! ;)

My factory unit is fine, but a few of the buttons dont light up anymore and a few of the small knobs have broken plastic.

2. Emmettology 101

A newer model 6 disc in dash unit would be nice. :)

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You could get a pretty good deal on a aftermarket headunit on Ebay. The problem with alot of newer factory headunits is they do more then just tunes. Alot of them are part of the vehicles electrical system. Stuff like door chimes, and other systems run through them. I recomend calling a car stereo shop and tell them what you drive. They'll be able too tell you if any of the vehicles electrical system run through the factory headunit or not.

4. Emmettology 101

I was just on Ebay and looking for rear pics of the units. Both my style and the newer style have different plugs. Rewiring a plug would't be a big deal if I had diagrams. BUt I wasn't thinking about the other functions...... DOH!:doah: I'll have to call around. :)