Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM IFS differences- full time to part time

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jac6695, Aug 11, 2004.

1. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I have a buddy that bought a wrecked 99-2000 Denali and the diff housing is cracked. Does anyone know the differences between the full time front diff in these trucks and the part time front diff (easy to find) in the rest?

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Other than ratio diffrences, the axle disconnect. I think but am not totally sure that the full-time, part time, and auto are all different. Why dosen't he buy a new housing and swap the internals over?
    I would call a place like Randy's ring and pinion a place that deals with it all day long to find the accurate answer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

He hasn't even priced a new housing, but a local junkyard wants $375.00 for a replacement and I have found at least one for only $125.00 used from an older truck on PBB.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

the 88-98 trucks and up to 01 tahoes (old body style) have a 8.5" ring gear I belive. Im not sure about the 1/2 ton 99 and up trucks but the 3/4 tons have a 9 3/4" front IFS. Plus if his had Autotrac, then you right theres probablly something differrent with the disconnect, if the newer ones even have one. If you call up West Coast Differrentials, they will be able to tell you what front you have and what will work. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif