Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM Mechanics Help!! - Frickin' Wiper Switch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mattman, Apr 22, 2001.

1. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

GM Mechanics Help!! - Frickin\' Wiper Switch

I need to replace my wiper switch on my 1990 GMC Jimmy with tilt steering and automatic transmission. I have a brand new AC-Delco switch. First I cannot find a good procedure (or an accurate steering column diagram for that matter) anywhere. I looked in both of my useless Chiltons and Haynes. According to them my car must not have a wiper switch - they don't even mention it. Tried Mitchell's at the library and what they say to do and how my column is are two different things. I even had my dad look in his factory manual for his 1983 motorhome (I know that's a van chassis but the wipers shouldn't be different between chassis) but it didn't even say how to do it. Uggh!!!

This is how far I have gotten so far. I pulled the steering wheel, loosened the wiper switch, removed the ignition cylinder and removed the screws for the turn signal/wiper housing. I then disconnected the wiper harness from the module under the dash and the turn signal connector from its harness under the dash. I removed the upper steering column support (u-bracket) and the other wire harness support bracket. At this point I could pull the turn signal housing up and off for some room. Now where I'm stumped is the turn signal harness and wiper harness are both in this gray sheath. The connectors from under the dash will not fit in the sheath. Also, the sheath is too wide to come out of the column not to mention where it passes through the column under the tilt mechanism there is not enough room to get the connectors through if I could pull up on the sheath. I'm stumped. The new switch has the connector attached so it goes through there somehow. The only thing I did not remove is the gear shift lever housing. I don't know what can of worms is underneath this but even if I did I don't have enough wire slack to get it out of the way. It looks like the only way left is to pull the column but that is further then I want to go. Has anyone ever done this on a 1990 or seen it done? This is getting really frustrating. I'm I missing something obvious? I'm this close to taking it in but the only thing that scares me is if I can't find a prodedure then how is a mechanic that has never done this going to figure it out without making a bigger mess. Note: I'm not saying I'm an ace mechanic but some of the dealer mechanics I've dealt with over the years have inspired no confidence whatsoever, however some have been real, real sharp.

P.S. Ford definitely one upped GM here. The turn signal switch went out on my Bronco II. Pulled the two shrouds, unscrewed three screws, disconnected the harness AT (not at the bottom of the column) the switch and bingo it was out and the new one was in. Too simple, whole job took 30 minutes and I didn't even have a procedure. Heck, if I had to replace the turn signal on the Jimmy I'd still be just as screwed. UGHHH!!!!!

90 GMC Jimmy, 350 TBI, 700R4, 32's
    84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........

2. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

Re: GM Mechanics Help!! - Frickin\' Wiper Switch

I haven't done it but i have the same problem. I have a manual that covers it,briefly. after you take the steering wheel off, there is a tool that removes the plastic cover. I take it it will expose all necessary i hope. where did you get the ac delco part?

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't know exactly how to do it but... I would try removing the metal pins from the plastic connecter housing. To do this you need a small tube to push down into the connecter to push the barbs out of the way so that you can pull the wire out.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

4. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Do a search from 4/14 explains it all Look up cruise control!

5. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

I got the part from the GMC dealership. It ain't cheap - $90, but I need it. Worse part is once I get this changed I still have to find out why the wipers won't work.

Did the search from 4/14. No one said how they did it. Still got me stumped. Does anybody know if the factory manual covers this?

84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by mattman on 04/22/01 07:26 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

O.K. if I'm reading that right, all you need to do is pull the sheath down, not up. it also has a split in it so you can pull the wireing out of it, then pull it down.

So from were your at (If I understand) you need to find the split in the seath, pull the wireing from it and pull the seath down. Then pull the turn signal switch out enuff to clear the colum (not all the way out) Now, there should be 3 screws behind the T.S.S., remove them and pull the colum houseing up. Now you should be able to acsses the wiper switch. (keep an eye out for small parts and levers and make a note ot there postions) Then attatch a piece of string to the old connector and and remove the switch. Attatch te string to the new connector and use it to pull the new connector threw the colum. That should be it. Hope this helps. If I can remember, I'll grab the S.M. tomorrow and give you better instructions and refresh my memory, its been awhile since I've worked on a anything from 1990.

Twiztid

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 04/22/01 08:47 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

If you can find it in the service manual that would really help. Thanks.

8. REDNECK

REDNECK Registered Member

When I did mine, I just cut the wires and respliced them back together. That way I gained some extra slack when I put it together. Working 6 years and still going.

9. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Well, if it's like the older one, there's a small hole on the connector at the end of the wire harness. You attach a STRONG small gauge wire to the hole, and gently pull it up the colum. You put the small wire, (now at the top of your colum, and pull it back into place. The just hook everything up. Hope that I could help. GOPHERKILLER

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I said "I haven't worked on one for awhile", next job I get is a T.S.S. on a '91 S10 Blazer (should be close to the same, just not as far of a tear down as a wiper switch). Here you go.

Remove or dissconect: horn button (remove horn contackt by pushing down, turn counter clock wise), steering wheel (use a gear puller). Use a -U-shaped tool with a threaded rod (should be rentable)- to depress the lock plate and remove the c-clip from the steering shaft. Take note of assemby and remove plastick cover, -lock plate-, and spring. Now, remove knee bulstr and anyother obstructions from under the dash. Disconnect the T..S.S. and wiper connector (if thats what you are doing- to all that read this-). Remove U-shaped steering colum support bracket. --O.K. now for the goods.

Remove sleave from the four welded nuts, find the slit (on passanger side) work the wires from sleave. Pull the sleave down. Now attatch a sring or wire to the connector that you are replaceing (T.T.C. or wiper switch) to use as a "lead" later. Now, remove the Phillips head screw from the "multi-function lever" that acuates the T.S.S. (take note of postion and switch opperation, this screw acts as a fulcrum for the t.s.s., take note of the "slideing" opperation of the muliti-function lever to the t.s.s. switch bracket). Remove the three screws that hold the T.S.S. to the coulum. Remove the "flasher" button. Remove the t.s.s. or pull it out of the way (depending on what you are doing)

Now, if you are replaceing the wiper switch. Remove the key warning switch (has two copper leads sticking out), remove the ign. ig lock cyl screw, remove the ign. lock cyl.

--Now-- this part I had troulbe discribing so... Take a good look at the oppperation of the "multi-function" lever, note how the the "high-beam" lever and acuator opperates. The high beam acuator has a "half-moon" cut into it and faces the steering shaft on the lower left hand side. This little sucker will fall out when you pull it apart.--

Remove the three screws or four screws that hold the upper colum. Now pull up on the upper colum, this should get enuff clearance to remove the back half of the "multit-function" lever cover. Again take note of postions. Now, remove the Mul.Func. lever from the switch by turning the switch to the -full off- postion and pull streight out (should be easy). O.K. now, (lighly) punch the wiper switch pin back towerds the the fire wall, and remove the switch ( this is where the part falls). Now, remove the switch and connector. Attatch the "lead" wire to new switch connector and pull the conector threw the colum. Make sure the high beam rod is seated and install the switch, Reassemble.

- as you pull this apart, take note of wireing routing around the t.s.s. the colum, and screw locations (they are different)

I hope this helps you out!!! It is the best discription I can give. It is differnt doing it than it is to write it. Good luck. P.M. me if yoy have problems, I'll try to help you out IF I can. Also, if anyone does this, let me know of any corrections I need to make in my discriptions, the basic lay down should be O.K. but some of the details might ba hard to understand.

Twiztid

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 04/23/01 11:33 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

11. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

By the way, you should not ever have to remove wireing from the connector. Unless there is a problem with the wiring connector it-self. When they put these things togather they did not install every single wire into its place idividualy, thats why the connectors are there, to ease assembly and dissasembly.

Sometimes you have to think "how to put it togather, rather then how to pull it apart." ( example- engine "assembly" into engine bay, or steering colum "assembly" into chassis, or body on to frame) Some are ruff (alt. on 3.4L dual-cam monte carlows) some make it simple. Just the nature of the beast.

Hope this helps, too

Twiztid

12. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

Thanks this should help. I'll try it again, just have to take it all apart again. I had it torn down that far but couldn't figure out how to pull the harness out. So then I got frustrated and decided to take it in and in order to do so I had to put it back together but at least I'm versed in tearing it down.