Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM merging with nissan

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sunnyc123abc, Jul 16, 2006.

1. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

2. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

ohh emmm geee :(

if they do im not buying a new gm as of 2005

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

It's either that or the company breaks up and each division fails one by one on their own. But hey thats what you get when your workers have a Union that rapes a company never caring how much it will hurt it in the long run. The thing GM should have done was to fire every unionized worker and replace them with nonunion workers who work hard to keep their jobs. Nothing makes a person work harder that knowing they can be replaced on a moments notice with no rep to stand up for them.

4. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

id rather them merge with a american company:doah:

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

GM will be fine as soon as the fire all their union people and just build cars over seas. Its highly likely that within a few years, none of the "big 3" will make a car in the US. Trucks, sure... but not cars. Unions killed the golden goose on that one.

j

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Who? Ford? GM had a 10.6 BILLION dollar loss in 05 and Ford was much worse off. GM needs cash and Nissan/Renault had a 8.6 billion dollar profit margin in 05.
    This deal will happen and it will help GM by giving them a 23% market share as compared to 13% right now (Toyota has 12% and closing). Another thing to look at Nissan makes a pre-tax profit of $2,200 per vehicle as compared to GM's pre-tax loss of $2,490 loss per vehicle.

7. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

An alliance isn't the same thing as a merger is it?

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

No, an alliance is would be in this case a three headed snake (GM, Nissan, Renault). A merger is one person or group calling the shots on the whole deal. I would suspect that they would call it an alliance but Wagner would be out as head of GM and replaced with Ghosn who is the CEO of both Nissan and Renault. I like the guy He knows how to cut cost and create a profit, not to mention He really hates unions.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Right, its all the workers fault. GM's decline has nothing to do with crappy engineering, worse designs, and lousy management. If anyone is over payed it the engineers, designers, and executives. The guys on the floor are not the ones making the big bucks.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Unions suck. It's been covered before.

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Here's one for You. GM closed down their plant in Oklahoma City last February. The average person working the floor in that plant made $45 an hour. The funny part is the workers still show up to work every day and get payed yet the plant is closed. They just hang out in the break rooms and collect a pay check.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

:eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

13. bigjbear

That would be the fault of management. They allow it to happen.

14. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

True, but not much they could do about it due to the contracts they have with the UAW.

15. bigjbear

Some do, some don't. I've seen them kill business and save the jobs of people who don't deserve to scrape the gum off the bottom of a table. OTOH, I've seen them protect guys who stood up and stopped something dangerous from happening (as in safety of flight issues). I've also seen good union's business reps work with companies to get rid of guys who needed to fired.

For the record the one union job I had (from '97-01) was covered by a crappy union, the IAM&AW, and was one of the reasons I quit. Unions have their place and one of them is large corporations like GM where one will never have contact with the head of the company.

People can bitch all they want about union workers being lazy, but it is the management that allows them to be that way. Pay is the same thing, it is agreed to by the workers and the company, same as any other employee. You do know that the management of most major corporations also work under contracts right? If the company is publicly traded you can look it up.

One last point, at the last place I worked the leadership gave themselves multi-million dollar bonuses while the company was on the brink of bankruptcy. Meanwhile the mechs were getting 20% pay cuts. This almost drove the guys on the floor to vote in a union. As long as things like this happen, unions will have a place.

16. bigjbear

Its not like the contract was a supprise. GM signed it.

17. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

they are not buying gm they are looking into an alliance...whatever they want to call it all it is, is a move by kirk kerkorian(SP?), you know the same guy who ruined chrysler...he has about 10% of GM stock and hes in this for the money..he bought at around 20something a share and is trying to make a profit...gm does not need help..it posted a small profit the first quater of this year, and compared to last years 10.6 billion dollar loss i think that is great. GM is only considering this because this is business. you cannot just say no. wagoner is gonna fight for his life not to lose gm to a crappy french company..

also anyone here who thinks ghosn is a good ceo, he just got lucky. he was appointed ceo of nissan when it already had new and fresh products in the line and he gets the credit...if anyone wants to see how great his work is look at the past year or so..nissan/infinity sales are going down so are there quality score.

18. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

thats nothing, there was a report that a forklift operator was making 6 digits:eek1: and the great part is he hasnt used one in like 1-2 years!

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it is scary that more and more of "domestic" cars, are made in other countries(half the stuff you get from AC Delco or GM says "made in Canada" on it. And more "Foreign" car companies are moving into America... Mitsubishi, Hyundai, and Toyota are for the most part at least assembled here.

20. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

another thing is i hope gm is smart enough to realize that there ar no benefits from this... i mean they have the only fullsize truck hybrid system ready to roll, only company putting money into hydrogen reasearch, have hybrid buses running in national parks, and other big cities, have camaro coming back soon, have new rwd cars coming soon...

lets see what nissan has to offer...maybe a decent minivan? also i dont think toyota is going to let this happen
    http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.d...715003/1003/newsletter08&refsect=newsletter08