Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gm Of the month

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by denver75k5, Sep 5, 2003.

1. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Congrats , James , Ive always liked that thing....

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

saweet

so theres still hope that my POS can make it as (mostly) GM of the month

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Thanks, guys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif you have a sweet rig /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Ruff_ryda_420

Ruff_ryda_420 Registered Member

might we have some more info on your rig, that thing is very sweet. i'm building something similar and would like to see how others have done it.

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    It looks like a lot of fun to wheel and like you put alot of hard work into it too. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif So how tough was it?
    Congrads! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Whatcha want to know? It wasn't too hard. Just alot of time, like anything else. Most of the body mounts ended up pretty close to the 77 frame mounts. I cut and rewelded the frame mounts or used box or channel steel to "adapt" the mounts to each other, using the factory rubber. I mounted the body as low as possible to keep the center of gravity down and for asthetics. The problem with this is the floor under the rear seat area had to be cut to clear the frame. I welded in a new floor with a storage box built in between the frame rails and found a back seat out of a Mitsu. Montero that mounts to the new floor. Had to extend the front clip 8" to make room for the radiator and fan. Cut the roof off this past spring to save a few hundred pounds, made a "fastback" style soft top for it for bad weather, and added the roll cage. The best thing for me was that my friend did his the year before so I took all the ideas and measurements from his, made improvements and applied them to mine /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im lookin at doing a s-10 body swap too... but prolly just swap over the cab and parts of the front end (think white-knight-style as far as the front fenders go). Id be interested to see how you did your steering system, mods to fit the cooling system, custom body mounts, anything you did for more room at the firewall etc. You have pics up on the web anywhere or anything? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

11. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Sorry no pics. I did have to move the column over a couple of inches to clear the BB heads. I cut a hole in the firewall and rebolted the column in a new place, and patched the hole. I am using a Borgesen steering shaft, but I wish I knew about the van shaft before I bought it. The core support is S-10 with body pucks under it. I welded the bottom part of a fullsize core support to hold the radiator in place and used fullsize mounts at the top. So the cooling system consists of a 4 core fullsize radiator in basically stock location with stock hoses and slightly modified shroud. Adding 8" to the front clip gives you plenty of room at the firewall. If I did it again, I would probably use a S truck ex. cab on a Suburban frame like my brother did. Much better for wheeling and easier to mount the cab. He has an LT1, stock core support, aluminum radiator, added only 4" to front clip, and has plenty of room in engine compartment.

12. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

yea tuff looking ride all right
    but what i wanna really know
    did ya really drive it down into that ditch ??? and if so any more pics when i seen that i said 2 my self
    WOW this guy is F@#$ Crazy wish he was around here 2 go wheeling with as most of my freinds are 2 wimpy with there rigs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

14. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sweet, thanks for the info on ur rig, i appreciate it. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j