Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM paint problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DieselDan, Nov 29, 2001.

1. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

My '89 has got the great GM paint job: paint has been peeling off in sheets this past summer. I heard it was a problem with the primer (paint wouldn't stick to it). I need to address this problem ie. repaint, but I don't want to see it peel again. What do I have do so the paint will stick? Anybody have their truck peel for a second time?

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I have fixed WAY too many of these!!! If it will come off, use a razor blade (actually a whole bunch of blades) and strip it down to the E-coat. That would be the grey you see below the paint. Sand the E-coat and paint over it. Try not to nick it up too much, it is fine and is holding on there good, and is prob the best thing for the new paint to stick to.

Razor stripping and prepping the E-coat is how I have done litterally hundreds of these. Never seen one come back.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

PI what was the reason it would't stick to the Ecoat to begin with, just curious because GM F0rd and Christ.lers all had a simaler prob... enlighten me bro....

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I dont think ANYONE knows for sure. There was rumor that the E-coat was allowed to set too long before the top coat, Also that they used (for example) PPG E-coat, w/ Dupont Base color and BASF clear and they just werent designed to work together. Thats why some peeled the clear from the base and others peeled from the base color from the E-coat. Then there was the one that I can verify.....They just didnt use enuff base color, and the sun was cooking the E-coat because the color was transparent and it was coming off. When I peeled these things I could hold up the base and clear sheets and see light thru them. That is my best guess. I cant tell you how many times we had customers say that their car or truck was a different color because the were used to seeing the E-coat below the base,and now they couldnt because we had full coverage, and we had to explain it to them. Not to mention the problems I had matching colors on wrecks that the E-coat was visible. I would have to find some of the E-coat somewhere inside the car here there was no color and match it, make it as a base color, spray it on, then put on the base that was not fully covered, so that it was visible below the real color.BUT the incompatible products is the most likely culprit.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

WOW thanks PI,[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

are you planning on repainting the truck yourself? Just curious, because our 89 pickup had the problem... and our dealer sent it to the local body shop- and the sanded/stripped the truck down bare- then started over from the beginning- I hate to hear about these horror stories- because ours was fixed in 95- a full 6 years after we bought the truck new- and we didn't even have to bitch that much- search the archives, my post is there about what they did etc.... ( even the inside of the bed) the truck is still on the road, used every day- and the paint is STILL all in one piece, no rust no nothing- good luck with what ever way you go
    --Brandy

IF ONLY THE 4 YEAR OLD COULD TURN A WRENCH
    1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear 12 bolt dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305-

7. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

I thought the Dutch weather was doing this to my K5. Well, I guess then I'm in the same boat as you. I really need a new paint job. But I'm thinking about doing it myself. Paintshops in the Netherlands may only use water based paints these days. If I do it myself I could put on some marine finishes.

1988 K5 Blazer Silverado Grand GT in the Netherlands. "No it does not fit everywhere overhere, but after one pass through it will fit the next time"

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Ya, myself and a friend (who's far better with a spray gun than I). I had heard about alot of warranty work regarding GM (and Ford) paint jobs. Of course those were for the original owner, not for the 3rd/4th like me.

Then again I might just sand it and spread Durabak down the sides!

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

9. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

per thirdgen-

It is also believed that paint problems in 1988-1992 models are a result of GM reformulating the primer base
    which was put on the cars. The primer was made to better stick to the sheet metal/fiberglass and better resist
    rust and corrosion. Unfortunately, it also resisted the paint from sticking to it - better known as "delamination".
    Thus, after a number of years, the paint starts to unadhere from the primer base even to the point where it will
    peel off in sheets. GM will cover repainting of vehicles with such delamination problems, but only up until
    they're 5 years old. This is why GM released technical service bulletin #231054 which allows dealerships to
    handle such problems on a "case by case basis to give goodwill adjustments to customers".