Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM parts people... I need help please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben Malinski, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

What is the correct part number for the turn signal switch for my 84 full size blazer. My high beams are not working when I try and activate them. The turn signals work fine as do the wipers, cruise and delayed wipers. I have a non tilt wheel. I am thinking that all I need to do is remove the steering wheel, remove the old t-signal arm, plastic housing and wiring and reinstall the new parts. I want a new arm as the old arm is faded and the lettering is gone.
    So... please tell me what the part numbers are that I need.
    I am in Korea, a buddy of mine is on leave in the states and will bring back the parts I need. He went to a few GM dealers and he is getting different stories from all three.
    When I replaced the turn signal switch some time ago, I ordered the parts from a jobber, told them what I wanted and it was pretty easy. Now it's getting difficult and far more expensive. Like 400 bucks expensive! Thanks!

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The highbeam switch is its own switch mounted low on the column under the dash. When you pull on the signal lever, it pushes on a long metal rod that pushes the switch.

Don't be too hasty on a replacement... if the screws on the switch work loose, the switch slides back out of the way and doesn't do its job.

If you find the rod isn't even moving, there is a portion of the wiper switch that can be broken causing the problems. It is very unlikely the signal switch has anything to do with it at all. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

What he said....
    Also,
    Do you here the switch clicking? If you can here the switch clicking, but nothing happens then I would be inclined to believe its the switch. If your not getting full forward motion out of your lever the rod could be binding or the cam on top of the rod is misaligned. Also check to make sure the metal rod is inside the little detent on the dimmer switch itself at the base of the column, left side.

4. 502 4x4

502 4x4 1/2 ton status

Part # is 1997985 if I remember correctly. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah...and try www.LMCtruck.com for the replacement lever. I think you'll find it much cheaper there than at the dealer...
    Good luck!

6. 502 4x4

502 4x4 1/2 ton status

Actually Ben, after thinking about it, I think #1997985 may be the number for 2nd Gens with the hi-beam switch on the floor. I'll research it and update you when I find out for sure. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. 502 4x4

502 4x4 1/2 ton status

A quick check of the books reveals that I was originally incorrect. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    GM # for you Blazer is 1997988 or AC Delco # D6225 "(same switch). I'd disassembe the column and inspect the switch before ordering a replacement.
    Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif