Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM Payin $1000 for Killer Trucks.............

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NITRO, Apr 6, 2002.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

Gm is buying any truck with the gas tank(s) on the outside of the frame for $1000 just to get them off the road. i know a guy that has a K20 and it has 3/4 running gear, which would be an easy mod to just swap the axles, but those r the only things i would use. i just wandered if once GM bought them, if there was n e way to buy these axles off of them.

NITRO

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I thought they determined that that whole deal with the gas tanks was a hoax...if its true though, I know of a few POS beaters that are worth lots less than
    $1000 that some owners will be getting a great deal selling though...

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

GM is not buying back trucks with frame mounted gas tanks, they are sending anyone who owns such a truck a $1,000.00 voucher towards the purchase of a new truck. I know this first hand from a friend who has such a truck and got the voucher from GM a short time ago and used it towards the purchase of his new truck. You do not even need to be the original owner of the truck, just simply the current registered owner.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i see...so is there a parking lot somewhere that is just full of 73-87 trucks? I would love to spend a couple hours in that!!!!!

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Unless they are really clean, the dealers send them straight to the boneyard or wholesale. A buddy of mine scored a sharp 83 K20 off of the local GMC dealer's backlot for $1995 recently - With 59K original miles on it to boot.

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

ok, ill have to look into it some more. thanx for the info

NITRO

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'm sure Dateline on NBC added explosives to the tanks of their crash test of '73-'87s didn't help matters. Wonder why everyone has such big thing against Chevy. Apparently we've forgotten Pinto's with low rider gas tanks. Mustangs that throw gas on the rear passengers when hit from behind, or the carberatour fires on later models mustangs. My dad used to do fire investigation for about 10 years and I'd go along when I was little and most of the car fires were Fords. As Gomer Pyle would say... "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise"

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Ford "ambulance prepped" chassis still have fire problems, but as luck would have it - Ford is the ONLY producer of emergency vehicle specific chassis left. There's also been fire trouble with the Crown Vic police interceptors - same thing though, GM and Chrysler abandoned the market in favor of producing cheap plastic "personal use" vehicles. GM does offer police packages on the Tahoe and Impala, but high centers of gravity and front wheel drive V-6's don't make for a very attractive package. I will admit though, Ford is the only ambulance worth a hill of beans - the older GM's had (naturally) A-Arm IFS that didn't take abuse nearly as well as the twin I-Beam does, and they had absolutely horrid electrical gremlins. Conversely though, the Caprice was much better than the Crown Vic in every aspect except the radio.

9. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

It is a voucher system. I thought the amount was $1500.00 but it has been years since I had my truck and my GM envelope.

10. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I got the voucher. The deal was that you had to own a GM Pickup '73-87 (88-91 25, 35 series) during a certain date period. I think it was somehwere in '91 to somewhere in '93 (I know,it's stange..but that's all the consumer lawyers could get). If I rememeber correctly, there was no way to "claim" your voucher (I tried...GM made the process very difficult), it was just sent to you. They claimed they found all "active" titles for the specified time period and sent out notices. I actually didn't get the actual voucher until late last year. Back in '94 all I got was a notice that I owned this pickup during a certain time, and that I would be reccieving a voucher soon. GM fought and fought, but so the consumer groups, so come early last year, GM had to start paying out. They are in no hurry though, and it sucks because my voucher actually expires in June. It is also not transferable.
    BTW, You do not have to surrender the vehicle to GM to use the voucher.

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Don't forget the old wiring problems especially prevelant on the old Tauruses. Lots of good fire from them.

yup... voucher for a new GM truck... not sure on e the dates and all that, but the owner of our shop has a 76 shortbox he has owned since new and he got one about a year or so ago.