Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM perf. crate motor warranty?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roostr3269, Jul 22, 2002.

1. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Well, all was going well with the 502, until i noticed a drop of oil on my oil pan. Closer inspection shows a possible rear main leak. My question is this.....I had to have the oil pan reworked around the crossmember in order to clear the crossmember. I called GM and asked if this would affect the already very limited warranty, and he told me it was a grey area, and they would have to look at it first, being that the 2 are so close in proximity. Does anyone know much about this? any suggestions? Thanx in advance.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Who did the work on the oilpan? You or GM. If you did it, forget it. If they did it, you probably will pay anyway. Hope it works out.

3. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

in my opinion GM crate motor warranties SUCK!!!
    so far i've had to replace the rear main seal, intake manifold seal, and the thermostat housing seal.
    all within the FIRST year of installation...
    all they would cover is the rear main seal....however, it was seal only, no labor...
    the rear main started leaking the first time i turned the engine over, after talking to them it wasnt even worth it for me to get them to send me a new seal, told me i had to send proof it was leaking and proof it was a factory default not caused by my installation....
    they wanted me to go to a chevy dealership, have them pull the tranny and see if it was the rear main..
    the catch-22 about it all was that the dealership wouldnt touch it, said it was a high performance engine and that they didnt work on them...
    um hello i bought the damned engine from that dealership!!!
    its a friggin 350 and they wouldnt touch it???
    i gave up hope and bought the seal and installed it myself..
    all in all it was cheaper than even having it looked at to get a free seal from them...

the lesson i learned was even though its brand new, i know engine builders who could build an engine that wouldnt have these problems, or at least fix it when they screw up...

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Define "re-worked". If you had the pan off, and reworked means that it was dimpled or has been welded on, it maybe tweaked or twisted. May be the gasket got pinched. If the whole thing is a clean job (workmanship, details ect...) there should be no reason you can't get at the least the parts covered. I just glanced in my GM performance catalog. It says that the performance parts have no express or implied warranty. Engines are covered under the engine and partial engine warranty. Section 1.1.3a in the General Motors Dealer Service Parts and Accessories. They are covered against defects in material & workmanship. Talk to the parts or service manager. If you demand they fix it, they can send you on your way. The rr main and pan gasket are production 7.4 parts. If you bought the motor there and you buy stuff there, your in good shape. If you've never been there it may be more difficult.
    Jim

5. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Ya, i agree the warranties suck. The pan was reworked by a professional third party person. Where the pan swings down around the crossmember is where it was opened up a little to give some clearance from the c.m. I am not very with GM as a whole right now between our 2 new vehicles with "piston slap" and now the 502. I am supposed to have it in by thursday, i will keep u guys posted on progress with the dealer, thanx for the responses.