Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM PP 383 Stroker applications

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Madbomber88, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

I'm looking into replacing my tired 350 with the new GM performance parts 383 in my 90 K5 (stock drivetrain). My question is about smog. I have to pass pretty rigorous inspections here in Mass. Can I put this engine in and rehook up all the smog equipment or is it not worth it. I want a nice new engine with all the power but every engine I see that I want it has a disclaimer saying it can only be installed in a pre 1977 or whatever vehicle. A nice new engine is no good if I can't pass inspections. Any advice??
    Thanks

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have a '90 Jimmy with a 383 & Edlebrock MPFI. All sensors and smog equipment remained hooked up. As to whether or not is would actually pass an emmissions test, I don't know, they are not required where I live, but I don't have any doubts that it would except for the fact that the converter "accidently," got left off when we did the exhaust, but left room for it.

The 383 is by far the best addition made to our Jimmy, loads of torque and better mileage than our old 350. I highly recommend it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would have to say yes, it would pass smog just fine. After all, that engine was built specific for TBI trucks. Read the literature on it and it says that.

4. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, it looks like you did exactly what I want to do. What else did you have to buy in order to make the swao work? I mean a 383 is just a bored out 350, so the hookups and connections should all be the same? I can't find much info on doing this swap in a 90 Blazer. Most are in older models. I'm just curious why they always say not to install these engines in smog equipped trucks. I'll put the same intake as you and most likely Thorley headers. What kind of gas mileage are you getting with yours?
    Thanks again.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Try this 383, it's a TBI just like you have and it is 50 state smog legal. 383 Stroker