Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM quad shock suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tboldt40, Sep 28, 2005.

1. tboldt40

tboldt40 Registered Member

I recently purchased a 87 K10 Chevy short bed with a 4" lift and 33s. I'm ordering replacement shocks for the truck. The issue is it has the quad shock suspension option on it. The previous owner only used single shocks on the front. The hardware for the second shock is missing. Did GM use a longer bolt and washer to mount both shocks to the the shock mount on the axle? Or is there something I'm missing? Any Pics or advice on hardware would be great.

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Yes, they used a longer bolt. Most people just run one. Running 2, depending on the shock, usually just results in a harsher ride.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, the factory hardware is basically just a longer bolt that allows the second shock to bolt up the the lower mount. Unless you are doing desert racing with lots of high speed whoops and stuff you don't need 2 shocks per wheel. One high quality shock per wheel is all you'll need.

j

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

jus run one, itll ride better, plus its cheaper

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The lower factory mount just uses a long bolt and a spacer between the shocks so that they don't touch each other. I'm running just a single shock at each corner on my '90 Sub that came with quad shocks. Rides just fine... :cool1:

6. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

well if you buy off the shelf shocks, you will get a harsher ride, but if you go to a professional and have him do the math, and figure out the correct valving, your shocks will last muchmuch longer, and you will have a better ride.