Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM rear axles

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Z3PR, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Before all is done, I want 3.73 gears and limited slip (posi) in the El Camino. Now my question is, should I just regear the stock rear axle, or swap it out for ???? Also, what do y'all think of Auburn Gear Pro Series Differentials ???

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

arent they non rebuildable? i hear they work pretty good, but i'd rather have something that can be rebuilt like an eaton, or wont go out like a trutrac.i had a trutrac before and i thought it worked great for the street. eaton would be cool too.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

does it have an 8.5 10b? how much power are you planning on? how much money did u want to spend on the rear?

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Roughly 300 to 350 hp. Just going too drop in a 290hp/350cid crate motor and do a few simple mods. Want 3.73 gears cause I plan on a 700r4 transmission. This will just be a street car will balls, not a race car. Right now it has whatever rear end GM put under the 78 El Camino with a 2bbl 305.

5. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

Z3PR
    I have done some research too see what axle I should put behind my 68 Camaro. I am definently going with a 8.5" 10 bolt. Cheap and very durable. Check this article out:
    http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/48518/

I asked about the durability of the 10 bolt at pro-touring.com. You can find that thread in the axle section of www.pro-touring.com. I named the thread "How much abuse can a 10 bolt handle" Lots of good responses. Check it out.

Craig

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I would just regear what you have and put in a POSi unit. Either the Auburn Pro or an Eason Posi will work fine. Kinda like eaton better because they are rebuildable and quiet. But both are good units for your needs.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

all 78 and newer intermediate GM's have a 7.5 10 bolt. Not the strongest rear end made. First introduced in a VEGA, then only slightly stronger when it was used in the MONZA!!! The Monza axel with the SAME torque arm the is used in the 82 up CAMARO's. with a slightly larger pinion bearing!! The only car of that body style that was better was the buick GN and GNX. which used the 8.5 10 bolt.

I have used the 8.5 10 bolts in several street/strip cars with MUCH success. I would use an eaton posi. SLP and others do offer good Posi units and gears for the 7.5 axel since it was used in the camaro's and firebirds.