Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM side post battery terminals SUCK

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Oct 25, 2005.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

K, it's 7:23am and my truck won't start. I am supposed to be at work 23 minutes ago. Because my battery failed. My brand freaking new red top is useless because the pressed-in cap with threads for that stupid little bolt pulled out of the lead of the battery. What the hell is the point of that retarded design? It's hard to jump start anything off of it, and this is the FOURTH battery that I've had problems like this with. FOURTH! This crap makes me want that Superduty even more. So yea, you could say I'm pissed off. Optima declined to warranty my last red top that the exact same thing happened to. I really hope they've since pulled their heads outta their asses.

On that note, does anyone have a suggestion for converting my truck to top-post style clamp terminals other than the crap Advanced Auto sells?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Why didn't you get a battery with side posts and top posts???????????????

And check here.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Bingo...Sears Truck, Van, SUV batt. Makes it an awful lot easier.

4. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Saw in latest Four Wheeler mag some battery with 1250 cranking amps and a 10 year starting warranty. Thats crazy. I dont know where the cables mount on that sucker, but when my redtops die, Im going shopping....

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

What's so hard bout changing the cables out to top posts??

6. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I agree, I purchased cable ends and cut off the existing side-mount ends. After installing the new ends on the cables I put screw-in posts on the battery and everything is golden.

7. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

on my last truck i cut off the side post to the truck side and ran the aux batt in the side post, hooked the truck pwr feed to top post. it is super easy- chop em off!!!

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Either Optima is using too soft of a material for the posts, or you're overtightening the screws. I have 4 side post batteries in rigs right now and have never had one pull out of the battery.

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Are you using a battery hold-down? How tight are the cables? Those are the only reason I can see for your problem. I have run optimas for years and have only had 1 cable pull out. My mount broke and the battery ended up laying against the header with the positive cable supporting it. It started to pull the threads, but I just put in a bigger bolt.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't comment on the Optima's in particular, but I've never had a problem with the terminals, and most of my vehicles the battery cables are coming off pretty often.

Jump starting is certainly a pain, the dual post setups seem ideal for that.

FWIW, the few top post batteries I've had corroded a lot quicker than the side terminals did.

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I like to snug the side posts down , just for the starter and ground , never overtightening . I have the stock holddown block , and a top hold down with the 2 j-hooks , and the wires are long enough to have a service loop for movement . If I work on the truck I disconnect ground at the motor and leave the side posts alone .

And all my accessory wiring goes to the top positive post . Been running that battery since 2002 .

I have had side posts strip before , thats where I learned from :D

12. thezentree

It is the one with top and side posts, so I guess I'm gonna have to convert to top post style if I can't get the battery warrantied. Reason I didn't convert in the first place is why the hell should I modify my truck to work if the design is supposed to be functional. Kinda stupid to make a battery that won't work with a type of terminal.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They sell adaptors..

You can buy adapters to convert your side post cables to fit on a top post battery,so you dont have to cut them..they are a bit cheesy,but I have them on my truck,and they seem to work ok--but they strip easier than a batttery will,so dont torque the cable bolts too tight..only about 4 bucks a pair here..

Another option is to heli-coil the battery threads..it isn't easy,but I have done a few sucessfully.. :crazy:

14. globaljames

globaljames Registered Member

I run like Pauly stated. If you are stock with no additional cables etc you may be a little tough on the wrench especially if its the 4th time.

15. thezentree

I don't think I'm over-tightening it though. I've stripped those bolt heads before (that was probably pushing it, but they held for a good while), but this time they look brand new. I think the things are retarded and have advantage over a top post style terminal.

16. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

That sux I have only had 1 problem with my red top an it was replaced for free. But mine has both top and side post so just get some better cables an top mount style connectors.

17. chrisb420

chrisb420 1/2 ton status

red top battery

when i flipped over my zr2 the red top optima broke in half the cables were still connectod to the upper portion while the bottom portion shot through a hole in the fender, they found the other half of the battery 50 yards from where the truck landed. so i would say the side post were plenty strong.

18. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i run everlast from walmart 1000ca and 875cca, and its side post and top psot so u got both!!! and has a 3 year replacement warrenty. ive got some electrical problems in mine, amd it kills teh battery every couple weeks or so...ive been goin back to walmart everytime and gettin a new one, im too lazy to deal with the wiring right now :haha: ive been doing this since about march, they still havent asked any questions yet :D

19. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

for those who care, the 99 and up grand ams have longer battery bolts than normal. there is plenty of room to hook up jumper cables. bolts are a couple bucks though. last i checked they were about $3.50 a pop.

ryan

20. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Nice :confused: - way to abuse the system.