Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM Trans FYI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I called the GM dealer and told them I needed a transmission. I gave them my truck specs (1985 GMC Jimmy Fullsize 4x4 Auto OD). They told me that the 700R4 for my truck had been discontinued. So I asked them to look up a 1988 year model. They do sell that year transmission and I could buy it and install it into my truck. But here is the kicker:

Since the transmission was for a 1988 and not a 1985 that the warranty would be void and they would not honor it.

So I have ruled out the GM Crate trans in my search for a new 700R4.

Harley

2. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I might would call a different dealer. That just does not sound right. That would be like saying you do not get warranty on this 350 crate motor because your truck did not come from the factory with that motor. Sounds a little fishy, but you can get a TCI 4x4 700R4 from summit for around $1700 I think.

**Check that, $1463 and made for '84-'93. It also says built with lift and bigger tires in mind, with the strongest parts available, etc...

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I called 2 different dealers and they both told me the same thing. Discontinued, and they would not honor the warranty if an 88 trans was installed in an 85.

I might look into the TCI for that price. I will cruise Jegs and Summit tonight. Thanks

Harley