Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM8 turbo on 6.2 help

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by muddybuddy, Mar 8, 2007.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im acquiriing a GM8 turbo setup of a '97 3500. what all do i need to make it work? i did a search and found that the 6.5 manifolds wont bolt up to the 6.2 unless you use 6.5 heads. i saw i also need to use 6.5 injectors. what else do i need to maximumize performance? where can i find the mechanical wastegates? thanks

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  2. muddybuddy

anybody have any info?

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'm not sure how different GM-8 and GM-3 turbos are. I know for my GM-3 really the only modifications that needed to be done were that you'll need the passenger side exhaust manifold off the 6.5 and to plumb an oil return into the pan. I have successfully installed the return plumbing but don't have the tubing installed yet but if you want I can share a pic with you when it is all done, plus the Ace Hardware part numbers you'll need for the assembly.

Injectors for the 6.2 worked with my setup, but mine (out of a '91 Suburban) had the short van style injectors, which I plan on replacing with 6.5 injectors.

The 6.5 exhaust manifold had no problems mounting on the 6.2 passenger side head, not sure if this is different for your application?

You'll also probably need if you don't have it the modified CDR valve that wraps over the turbo mounting bracket.

Wastegates are something I haven't researched yet. My esteemed colleague, JeremyK5, is a pro at searching CK5 and the web for information, and I couldn't have made any progress on this project without him. He might see this post. If not, he probably wouldn't mind if you dropped him a line. :thumb:

My digital cam charger is MIA but when I find it I can take a couple pics for you. That is, like I said, assuming these two setups are similar.

Good luck!

4. muddybuddy

thanks, if you could get me the part numbers from ace and what not that would be sweet!

hopefully he sees this and posts up some info to help me :)

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

These are the parts we used to install the oil return. The engine is not here at my house or I would take a pic for you. We put the return on the passenger side of the pan towards the front of the truck. Hope this helps some. I will try to get some pics soon.

Hardware for Turbo Oil Return
    Elbow: 45 deg. 1/2" Ace 4066999 $1.79

Elbow: 90 deg. 1/2" Ace 4007845 $1.49

Flange: 1/2" Ace 4068268 $2.79

Plug: 1/2" Ace 47824 $0.79

6. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

7. muddybuddy

thanks for the link. so are you not going to do it anymore?

8. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

No problem. Thats probably one of the best diesel sites i have found so im sure that they could help you out on any questions that you have.

Well, I would, but the turbo that I found was sold before I could get to it. I would still love to if I had the money and found another truck with the turbo in it. If you have a donor truck it doesnt seem too hard at all.

9. muddybuddy

yea i joined there a couple days ago, appears to have alot of good info

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I just joined too, seems like a nice place for diesel lovers.

11. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Yes, lots of info there:D

The GM-8 will work great. It's the last turbo made for the 6.5L and has all the improvements. Supposed to work markedly better than the GM-3 or GM-5. It has a vacuum controlled wastegate and some prefer mechanical and swap to a Turbo Master controller or fab one up themselves. Fairly straightforward mod.

12. muddybuddy

what kind of hp/tq gains do you think i will see? the guy i got the turbo setup from said to run single 3.5" or so. would it be worth getting some 6.5 heads, and porting and polishing them? or maybe just take the 6.2 heads of and port/polish them?

13. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Enough to be worth it:D

6.5 heads will help as well but most are of the opinion having the heads polished & ported isn't worth the cost:( Somebody used a gasket as a reference between the exhaust & head and was surprised they didn't line up like he thought they should so he used a dremel type stone to match them up better. I thought that might be worth looking into on my build.

I just got my GM-8 Turbo delivered. The cast iron parts are definately different. The aluminum intake is visibly different inside as there is a greater opening following the intake fins. I'm going to take some pics of the two side by side. Since the rebuild kits are the same for all the GM Turbos I'll assume the impellers, shaft, etc are the same.

As for exhaust there are several 4" systems for trucks which is the optimum price/power size. I'm getting one of those and may have some "modding" to do so it will fit my K5;)

14. muddybuddy

so you are going to go with a 4" kit and mod it to work with the k5? then thats what i will do. any idea what the best company would be to with?

15. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

How much boost do those GM 8 turbos put out?

16. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Heartthrob? Heart-something is supposed to be good and they are cheap:D Can't remember the name of the other one. Less than $300 for a aluminized system.

As for boost, how much do you want?:laugh: 15 is easy, 20 is doable and I think if you push it you can get 25. I'm looking to stay around 15.

17. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

Well, if I went that route, I would want to keep it at 10 or less for my 6.2. I dont have the money to be going any more than that.

Oh and sorry for the hijack muddy.

18. muddybuddy

no sweat man! i had heard that 15lb was safe, and with proper mods 18-20lbs was good. im going to stay around 15lbs, as this will be a dd/weekend warrior and i want to maximize performance while keeping it reliable.

19. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

Really? You can go up to 15 without low compresion pistons? I know that with the low compresion pistons you can go alot higher but I had thought with stock safe was about 10. But i dont know for sure. Just what i heard.

And IIRC low compresion pistons were ~1000