Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GMC Jimmy engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Pakku, Nov 16, 2000.

1. Pakku

Pakku Newbie

Can someome help me with my GMC engine. My truck is a 1996 year model with a Vortec 4.3L V6 engine. The engine just died and refuses to start. The fuel is OK, the spark is OK, but the engine just refuses to start. I would like to know the following things:
    What is the fuel route, e.g, fuel pump, filter, injector etc.
    Where can the problem be that stops the fuel from getting to the injector

2. Nike

Nike Registered Member

If you have spark my guess would be a fuel pump. It is in the tank. Find your fuel pump relay switch, probably on the firewall, right side, check it out, final check is to turn the key off for a few minutes, listen closely at the tank and have someone turn the key on, you should hear the pump give about a 2 second shot of fuel. I bet its the pump and you will need to drop the tank to replace it. Thanks Nike in Mo.

Blue

3. REDNECK

REDNECK Registered Member

Sounds like the fuel pump to me to. I had the same problem and I replaced the filter(located under either the driver or passenger frame rail,looks like a soda can) and it turned out to be the fuel pump. I got it out and it would work fine out of the tank, but when I would put it back in it would quit. The thing was that it took me 6 times of dropping the tank to learn. It will take a long time to live that one down. Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Fuel, air, spark, and compression... lack one? get nothing...
    Oh oil helps too... but that doesnt apply to you in this case...

Check your fuel pump...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

5. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

If you are getting fuel to your rail, spark, and have good compression it could be your computer, your injector, or a bad connection to your injector. If your computer is fried it wont send the signal to open your fuel injectors. I have had it happen to me before. Computer died and it didn't hit me until I had tested everything else.

6. Pakku

Pakku Newbie

Thanks a ton for the tip that the computer could be faulty! Where is the computer located and how much does the replacement cost.
    Thanks

7. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Depends, to find out for sure you could call checker or autozone and they can tell you were it is located. Mine was located on the drivers side behind a plastic kick panel. But when I called autozone they told me it could be there, the passenger side behind the kick panel, under the drivers seat, or under the passenger seat.
    I went to a junk yard after I pulled the computer and matched up the numbers and only cost me 75 bucks.