Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GMC Quadrasteer question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Mar 30, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Went to the GMC dealership today and studied the quadrasteer pickup a little more. Yeah the rearend is huge and the knuckles are too. I had one question though. Is there an actual u-joint in the axleshafts of that rearend, or is it a kind of CV joint? I was looking at it and it appeared to have either a dust boot over where the universal should be in the knuckle or it was a CV. Just wondering if anyone could verify.

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I'll check and see in the comps at work.

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

It is a CV.
    Also it is larger than the 60 size CV used in the 2500/3500 trucks. We make most of the truck CVs. However our largest press (2000ton) can't form the Q-steer CVs, so I'm told by the engineers.

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Aight, now I have another question. Could the CV hold the angles of a front steering axle? And if it could, why isn't anyone using it, if it's substantially stronger? I know it'd be really expensive to make, but it would make sense.

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

No the CV can't handle the same angle as the front, as far as I know. Also it might not be a CV in the sense of the outters on the front, it may be a large tri-pot design. If I get a chance I'll swing by the garage an look at some. IIRC, the rear is only intended to operate at a max angle of ~12*.

In the stock application the front half-shafts are plenty stout.