Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GMC Sierra 7500 4x4.... What could I use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by google, Jun 30, 2005.

1. google

google 1/2 ton status

Ok, i live in a small town and this is for auction with NO KEYS.... As of now, I can get it for $25 bucks and I don't imagin anyone else is gunna bid against me on it. BUT, if I got it, what could I use? Anything? Could I even use the axels? It says it has a V8 diesel... any clue what that would be? (SIZE I MEAN) and would it be worth rebuilding for my blazer? (I know it may be a giant thing that needs the 12 speed manual tranny, but I hope not) Here are the details given.

1977 GMC SIERRA FLATBED TRUCK, 08 CYL, ODO:UNKN VIN: TJV737V608937, TAG:I136228, 4X4, MT, DIESEL, CONVERSION FROM SERVICE TRUCK TO WATER TANKER FOR FIRE. REPAIRS REQUIRED BUT NOT LIMITED TO: NO KEYS. (14815751250002).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

That's a trippy old truck! Have you seen it? Does it actually have a front axle? It's sitting pretty low for that large a truck to have a front axle. Maybe they mean 4x4 in that both rear axles are driven.

I'd like to know more about the rear axles. They look like the stuff you find on tractor trailers - I think I see air brakes back there. If that's the case, they are way more than you'd need and I think they are so large, you'd lose a lot of ground clearance.

Check'em out to see if both rear axles are driven (driveshaft beteeen the 2 rear axles). Post some pictures if you can. Air brakes? What size tires? walking bean rear suspension?

Keep us posted :grin:

Eric M.

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Chances are when they say 4x4 that its just a Twin Screw. AKA both back axles are powered

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Most likely has a 3208 Cat under the hood, or possibly a detroit.

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I don't think there is anything you could use :( ... though there are some, like my brother... who would love to snatch out that tandem axle setup... he has an Interantional thats dying for a tandem axle... but even then, I'm not sure it would be cost effective...or safe to do such a swap. :crazy:

6. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Looks like a monster tow rig to me. Heck a tilt flat bed and you don't even need a trailer.

7. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Tow rig for a burb trail truck :cool1: :D

8. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

I would buy it front axle or not that bed is over $25 worth of steel, and If I had the chance I would buy it but I have acerage to use it on.

9. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

for $25 it's worth it to buy and cut it up for scrap. could even sell the engine.

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I agraa with others, TOW RIG :D

11. google

google 1/2 ton status

Maby I could just make my Blazer a 6x6 :D. But really, for $25, i prolly would just scrap the whole damn thing or put it up on ebay and see what I can get for it.

ANYONE IN AZ KNOW HOW TO HOTWIRE?

12. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

If you pick it up, let me know about the rear axles and suspension, I might be interested. I'd need some more info. on them (pics., dimensions, etc).

Thanks,

Eric M.

13. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

There is no hot wireing to it. If it runs, just jump the solinoid on the starter cause there more than likley no fuel shut off solinoid

14. google

google 1/2 ton status

Can you repeat that in moron please. Maby draw me a picture. No clue what you just said

15. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have to agree with the other also. Buy it and get the title, then get a locksmith to make you some keys.... Fab up some ramps to get you K5 onto the back and use it as a tow rig!! That would be sweet, especially for $25!

16. google

google 1/2 ton status

That would be awsome, but if I get a locksmith to make me some keys, i'll prolly just sell the beast and hop up my blazer some more. Would you need a c class license to drive that thing?

17. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Yes you will probaly need a cdl.

And starting a desil with no keys is easy. On the onld ones, insted of the engine shutting off when you turn the key off you will have a knob that you have to pull insted. This also means that there is no electronics on the engine. They will run with no electricity what so ever.

To jump the starter solinoid all you need to do it jump from the positive of the batery to the post on the solinoid that engages it. That would be the post with the little scrawny wire.

But it might possibly have an air starter. If that is the case then all you need is an air compressor to pump up the air tanks and you are good to go.

It looks like it has been sitting for a while so you might not be anywhere close to driving the thing without some repairs.

18. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Depends on what your state classes are and if it has air brakes.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Endless possibilities!

25 BUCKS?? :yikes: --how could you go wrong??...a TIRE off it is worth more!

Contractors around here would KILL to buy a diesel truck like that for hauling concrete forms,or hauling their backhoes around!..

You could make a big flatbed out of it to haul cars and trucks,hay,etc..or you could put a travel trailer on it and have a 4x4 RV!.. :laugh: .... not much you cant do with that rig!..wish I could buy one for that price.. :crazy:

20. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How are you going to get that thing home, if you cannot get it started?