Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GMRS License

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by 88sub4x4, Jan 2, 2007.

1. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I applied online for the FCC license for the GMRS radios I got for christmas. Cost me $85 :eek1::eek1: I was not expecting it to be that much. Now I know why everyone out there just uses the radio's and doesn't get the license. I am a by the book kind of person, so i follow the rules, but I don;t think they should sell those things so easily if a license is required.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

For the basic ham license , 14 bucks to test , lasts 10 years . With repeters my handhelds can cover many square miles . When mobile my Yaesu has 50 watts on fm :pimp:

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Maybe I should do that instead. Got these as a x-mas present, so figured i'd use 'em.

4. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

I have a feeling the GMRS liscense is like CB liscenses many years ago - a revenue stream for the FCC paid for only by those who sent in the money. I have a feeling after a few years they will go away, as I have never heard of anybody being fined for using GMRS without a liscense.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had to go look and make sure, but we use those and I didn't even know that you had to have a license.

6. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

GMRS license enforcement is almost non existent by FCC. But if you get in a GMRS club with repeaters and everything they will insist you get licensed. But Ham radio since they just eliminated all Morese Code is a way better deal.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

It is a way better deal , but future amatuers do need to keep in mind , we talk cleanly , and we don't have any cb-isms like roger beeps , talk back boxes .

We do have cleaner sounding radios , legal use of more power than a fcc type accepted CB , ability to make phone calls in emergencies . And its fun :waytogo:

8. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

My best description of amatuer radio is professional without the liscense. Folks actually understand the equipment they are using to some extent, and can advance their knowledge as far as they want. I also call it "Nerds with toys" cause we do tend to do some wild hair stuff.

What we don't tolerate is bad or abusive language, or poor operating habbits. Your fellow hams will go a long way to help you out - but they will also go a long way to kick you out if needed. And unlike CB when you get kicked out it can cost big $$$ in fines.

So if you can be civil and had fun on the air come join us. If you need to be foul and abusive I have some great CB gear in a closet somewhere I can sell you :shame:

9. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I mainly use the GMRS for communicating on the trail to people who don't have CB's so we can realay messages. It makes for smoother days on the trail, then hitting the horn and yelling to the guy who has no CB. They are also nice when spotting folks. Just leave a radio in the vehicle being spotted, and they can hear you much clearer then yelling over the noise of the engine. Or when walking a trail to check conditions before venturing into an unknown area.