Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GM's new Quadrasteer info I found

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

GM\'s new Quadrasteer info I found

The availability fo GM's Quadrasteer four-wheel-steering option has been expanded to include the 1500 extended cab and 1500 HD pickups. If you haven't experienced Quadrasteer it's worth a look. At low speeds the rear wheels turn opposite the fronts, which cuts down the truck's turning circle considerably. At highway speeds the rears and the fronts turn in the same direction, improving the pickup's high-speed maneuverability. Those of you who tow will really appreciate having wheels that steer near the trailer's tongue.

The extended availability of Quadrasteer that reached deeper into GM's pickup truck line also includes some of the General's big SUV's, as 2500-series SUBURBANS and YUKONS XLs can be ordered with the four-wheel-steer option. Quadrasteer reduces the 4x4 sub's turning circle from 44.3 to 35 feet, a 21 percent improvement. (The Quadrasteer availability seems sorr of random --- offered on some big trucks but not others --- but a GM spokesman sxplained that currently it can be fitted only to DANA60 9 3/4-inch axles with leaf springs.)

I typed this word for word from a magazine report.

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Re: GM\'s new Quadrasteer info I found

I was glad that the went with the dana60 center section. They were originally setting them up with 9.5" corporate center sections.

3. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

My friend has 2002 1500 ext cab 4x4 quadrasteer, and I tell you what. After driving it, I hope some one comes out with some kit for regular trucks because it makes a huge difference. orginaly i thought i was gonna be hokie but im sold after driving it.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

A buddy of mine has worked on Quadrasteer (He's an ElectircalEngineer)for the last 4 years, it's a Delphi product. Two winters ago we took one up snowmobiling towing my 4place enclosed trailer. WOW! What a difference! The software automaticaly compensates for wind shear and trailer sway, you could hardly feel that pig back there. And we don't even have to mention the improved low-speed manuverability.

A great idea, but there are two large faults:

1. A $4500 option.
    2. A maintance nightmare, alignments, electronics. I've seen Delphi's test vehicles with 100k mi, and the tires are worn all goofy. According to my buddy it's a hard system to keep going, it throws faults alot(ok on their test vehciles, the production version is supposedly more stable...), which then the system just shuts off (HUGE centering springs to keep it centered). You know those $1200 front-end jobs, well start doubling that for front and rear balljoints/tie-rod-ends/axle shaft stubs/axle-u-joints/spindle bearings...etc..

As for an aftermarket kit, I wouldn't hold your breath. The heart of the Quadrasteer system is the software. The mechanics are easy, making it to turn just right at various conditions is the key, this thing is hooked into almost every sensor on the vehicle (speed, fore/aft interia, side-to-side intertia, accell, decel, weight on vehicle..just to name a few), and has alot of additional sensors.

They are kool to drive when it's working and it's not yours....hehe

BlazerMan