Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Go ahead laugh.......Tips an Tricks to U-Joint instalation.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeremy_C, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

As simple an routine as this might be, i've never tried this before by myself. And tommorow, i'm gonna put two u-joints in my rear drive shaft. Its a 4wd, with 10 or 12 bolt rear, i'm barely awake right now. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Just throw in something that i might need to know, so it dont end up costing me twice as much for breaking something else when i dont fix this right. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

If at all possible use a hydraulic press rather than a hammer.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Go ahead laugh.......Tips an Tricks to U-Joint installation.

they are easy take the clips off. then take a hammer and pound down on the side of the ujoint till the cap falls out the end. then turn it over and pound it till the other cap comes out. put some grease in the cap slide it in the opening. slip the ujoint in place. hold the ujoint tight and pound the cap in. do the same with the other cap. put the clips in add more grease and re install the drive line /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Go ahead laugh.......Tips an Tricks to U-Joint installation.

If you still have the stock u joints, you'll have plastic holding them in. Use a torch to burn it out.

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

ball peen hammer too...that way you can use the round end to smack the caps through...and a couple sockets that fit ontop of the caps but are slightly smaller than the cap, and beat on those...

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Take them to 6States Distributors and they change them for free if you buy the joints from them. And they are cheeper than everyone else to bonus (If you have that store in your area /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)