Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Go big block, or stay small block?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

A dude I know gave me the number of a guy selling an 87 2wd 1 ton single rear wheel crewcab truck with a TBI 454 / TH400 combo in it. He wants 500 bucks for it.

Would it be worth the effort to drop that big block into my shortbox step-side truck? I don't plan to keep the truck after this summer, and I want to make a quick return on it (paid 350 for it, then spent another 150 on an engine).

If I did drop the big block in, would it significiantly improve the worth of the truck?

I personally don't really want a big block in either of my vehicles. A small block makes more than enough power for what I use my vehicles for, and the gas costs would be killer! So, if it wouldn't make a significant improvement in the worth of the step side truck, then I don't wanna bother wasting my time and effort :P

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Not Worth It !!!!!!!

3. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

What he said.

Unless you want the pow pow and you said you didn't.

4. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

Used to be that a big block was about a $1,000 upgrade in the Kelley Blue Book over the small block. That was for later model vehicles. I think gas prices are making people wary of big blocks. If I was buying your truck, I would pay more for the big block but probably not enough more to justify the time and money you are talking about.

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Remember you aren't the only one thinking about gas prices. How much of a selling feature is an engine like that now? Anyone that wants the engine will buy it. The same doesn't go for the truck with a 454!

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, I think I agree with you guys.

The small block in the truck runs very well, and has plenty enough snort. I'll just let the big block pass :)