Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Go eat a sandwich!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Oct 7, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, get off yer ass and go pile up some ham, a little turkey, every frickin kind of cheese you can imagine, some salt, a little pepper, maybe a jalepeno if you're feelin' like a man, some hot sauce, slap the bread together, take a bite, and say, "This one's for you Ratch!"

I have GERD, have had it for about 10 years. I haven't done squat about it until friday night I ended up in the Emergency Room... Right about now I can't have a glass of water without it being torture, forget any form of solid food... I go tomorrow for Endoscopy, and with my luck, I'll walk out knowing how long I have to live. It's a little scary; my uncle went through the same exact thing. About a year ago he finally started to do something about his, and 6 months later I was at his funeral.
    He ignored his heartburn, and it killed him. I've been ignoring mine, and I can no longer eat (hopefully remedied tomorrow).
    Go eat some stuff while you can, and appreciate the ability to swallow!!

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Hope you get better Ratch... My Dad (55 years old) is taking about 4 pills aday. Just to keep going.

Stay off the hot sauce! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i told you to get that looked at like 8 months ago! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif dam man i take my little tummy pill everyday and everthing if i miss taking it it's like /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. i hope everythings okay

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ratch...take care of yourself dude!!

Pardon the dumb question but what does GERD stand for?

Rene

5. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Gastro Esophogeal Reflux Disease. Burns like hell. It can eventually eat through your gut.
    I take my little purple pill EVERY day. You don't have to be old to get it either. It's not
    caused by what you eat - but what you eat can really make it flare up. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ratch - get that taken care of - NOW DAMMIT !!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I know I know... I'm getting it thoroughly checked out today though, hopefully I can get fixed up enough to have a piece of bread! My wife now tells me the doctor pushed this endoscopy through asap because "he's pretty concerned". Before we consulted him, the nearest appointment we could get was like 11/8... Hopefully fixed today... It's like waiting for a new engine, you're practically pacing waiting just to get the damn thing, even if it's a used grease covered piece of junk...
    Thanks for the well wishes, all!

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Been there, HAD that! I feel your pain bro! I had to have corrective surgery from a combination of GERD and a hietal hernia. I was on a lquid diet for 2 months after. The good news is that I can eat ANYTHING I want now with NO pain of anykind. Also, I lost 40#'s in 8 weeks and I have kept it off for more than a year now. If the doc. recommends the stomache wrap surgery, then I for one am happy I did it. It was 8 weeks of juice and crap and it felt like I got ran over by a dump truck, but I had already been dealing with stomache pain for years, so 8 weeks tummy recovery didn't seem like such a long time. It worked wonders for me! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's exactly what I needed to hear!!!! Thanks Shane!! I was thinking I may have the hernia too, since this inability to eat seemed to come on so quick. I just want to know this can be fixed and I can more or less go back to normal eventually...

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

The herina makes life a pain in a hurry! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif All I can say is that my discomfort 100% gone and I feel great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Normal?...well, that's all relative! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But I can say that I LOVE spicy food. Before the surgery, I couldn't eat unsalted crackers and water without feeling like I had swallowed hot coals /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif! Now, I can eat my wifes famous (at least in our area) habenero steak fajitas w/out any problems! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Good luck today. I hoe it goes well. Let us know how it went.

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You don't have to be old to get it either

[/ QUOTE ]
    tell me about it i'm only 31 and have has it over a year now. Hey Ratch have fun with the endoscopy they sure do knock ya up the some serious drugs befor they shove that haos down your throat. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

DUDE! You'll be fine, as long as he dosn't ask you to turn your head and cough! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif You'll feel better in no time! No worries /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, it turned out ok. Apparently I fought a little after I was under so they had to sedate me a little extra, and I've more or less just returned to a normal state of mind about 3 hours ago.

I have an ulcer in my esophagus, and esoph. spasms. The doc put me on carafet (?) and some other stuff, and the carafet seems to actually have already started working. I had chicken for dinner tonight (chewed to complete mush), and can tolerate milk. GOnna shoot for ice cream in a little while, see if that's the same misery it was a couple days ago...

Thanks for the encouragement guys (and gal)!

14. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

doode hope ya feel better. once ya get better just eat up some cajun food. this is only when u get better tho. lol. later.

jacob