Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

go fast and crawling shockS?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by K10ANDYKHAMNIC, Sep 10, 2002.

1. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

gas charged ? brand ? what is the best all around shock ? withought getting stupid xpensive /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

How fast do you want to go? The faster you want to go, the more you spend. Definitely a direct correlation there.
    You want gas charged for sure, it makes the shock fade far less under hot conditions.
    I would also recommend going with a single large body shock rather than multiple small shocks, just because it's easier to mount and valve.

For crawling, I really like having the damping of the King shocks, but you could get the same or very similar damping qualities from a smaller shock and no reservoir.

I was pretty happy with a single 2" bilstein per wheel. Not much fade, good damping, reasonable price. You'll spend $450 to $500 for a full set.

3. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

How do the Bilsteins (I'm assuming 5100's?) compare with RS9000's? What about the 7100's?

4. Stephen

I'm not that familiar with the whole line, but I think all bilsteins are high pressure monotubes. This shock design is head and shoulders above the twin tube "cellular" shocks when it comes to damping quality and fade resistance. I could fade a RS9000 in about 15 minutes. A single 2" bilstein would last at least twice as long and still not fade as much when it did start to heat up.

5. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

do you still have the bilsteins ? could get a pic of them ?

6. Stephen

I do but i'm not too sure of the condition. One got taco'd pretty good in the rear and the fronts were leaky and old when I got them. They were used buggy shocks in front and new non-res shocks in the rear. I'm sure the fronts can be rebuilt, they're old but I don't know that it's a problem.

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

would ya wanna get rid of em ?