Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Go get yourself an ORD bolt on steering brace right now!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert79K5, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Okay so a couple of months ago I threw my one-tons, 4" lift and 35" boggers under my 90 K5 and ordered an ORD bolt on steering brace as a precautionary measure. Soon after getting the axles slung under it I got real busy for a while and decided I would get around to installing that steering brace eventually... before the frame cracked... I wasn't wheeling the blazer anyway, unless you count driving on the sidewalk at my apartment complex.

I have to say that it drove pretty good without the brace. Im used to driving junk with loose frontends and my "new" Blazer actually steered and tracked well for a lifted, solid axled 90 model truck so I was happy and was in no hurry because I never considered the posibility that the brace would actually improve the steering. I just wanted to have it on there for peace of mind.

Well Yesterday I got off my lazy duff and drove to my dads shop and installed that brace. First it was super-easy, only required one hole drilled and everything lined up perfectly. Now let me make this disclaimer before I finish the story... The bolts on the steering box were tight and there were no cracks in the frame.... I checked.

On the way back home I was shocked... I was happy with the way the Blazer drove before, but I could not believe what a difference the steering brace made! That brace really tightened up the steering considerably. It steers now like it did when it had half tons and factory sized tires on it. I can only assume that with the added stress of the 35s the frame was actually flexing a minute ammount. I can only imagine what a difference it would make for those who are running big tires.

I just want to say thanks to ORD for coming up with this design. and for those of you who don't have one go ahead and order it. Youll be glad you did when you notice the difference it makes. :waytogo:

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got the weld in and bolt on braces from ORD.

3. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

Same setup here...can't say I noticed a difference because I put the brace on right before the lift and tires...thanks for the comparison.
    Joshua

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

My ORD bolt-in brace kit rode around on the floor behind the driver's seat for a couple of months! When it finally went in (inspection showed no cracks, knock on wood), I was impressed with how much it tightened up the front end, and even got rid of the frame flex "creaky noise" when one wheel or the other went up on the curb while doing a u-turn on a too-narrow street.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Same experience here. It really improved the steering noticeably.

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

X2 on the steering brace, its a great, fairly inexpensive mod :bow:

*hijack*
    Hey Robert, I still have your cell number, what would be a good time to call you? I was wondering if you still have those cheap 36's laying around? I may be headed north sometime in the next month.
    thanks,
    James

7. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I couldn't tell the difference after I installed mine, but I only run 33's.

I'm glad it's there though:D

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not tryin to [sic] "dis" ORD, but from what I have heard in the past the original designers of the GM steering box brace are supposed to be these people, and ORD are distributors of them.

http://www.autofab.com/sbgk%20100.htm

9. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Well it certainly looks identical to the one I put on.

Whoever designed that thing deserves a cookie.

10. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

yeah mine cracked in several places with only 2.5" lift, 33's, and stock steering. got the weld on and bolt in, i hope its not getting worse. oh well.

11. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It really clears up slop in the steering? :eek1:

Wow maybe thats the way to get rid of the play I've got in my steering.