Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Go to Quadrajet from Holley 600?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wy4tt, Jun 26, 2005.

1. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

I got the 350HO crate motor from GM. Came with darn near everything, including a Holley 600. It runs great in the Jimmy. That is, when it's on flat ground. As many of you know, Holley's street carbs aren't the best at angles and this one is no different. Floods pretty easily. So, I've heard of some attaching a valve that limits max flow so that the Hollys won't flood. Switch it on when you get offroad and flooding is pretty much done away with. Is this a decent idea, or should I just go with a quadrajet and be done with it?

Next question, how much should I expect to pay for a good/rebuilt QJ? I have access to a 750, but I don't know how much it will cost and even if that's a good match for this engine (I think it would be fine). What do you guys think? Recommendations are needed and appreciated! Thanks.

2. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

the 600 holley has a side hung float and the q-jet has a center hung float bowl.......choose your poison, the holley dont like side to side and the q-jet dont like ups n downs.
    i would check the float level first cuz it may be a little high.......
    also tie the float vents together with a length of fuel line and :hack: a small hole
    (1/4") in the center of the tubing so the vents can breathe....

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The Quadrajet does too like up and downs , I have been up and down steeper than this , and my underwear weren't clean afterwards , but my carb sure as hell never stalled . I call it "Fool injection" :D

[​IMG]