Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gobble gobble 2005

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by afroman006, Mar 30, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Am I the only one to get a turkey yet. I actually killed a hen last fall and the top pic is the only one I have of here. Shes the lump at the front of the bed. Anyway here's my first tom of the season, got him opening morning on saturday with the scattergun. 22 pounds, 10" beard, 3/4" spurs yada yada yada. The rest of yall have some catching up to do. Here's pics.

beachhouse snow2.jpg

1turkey.jpg

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Awesome! congrat's. Wish there were gobblers where I hunt.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Congratulations!!! There are tons of turkeys here in MS, BUT during the Spring I have to say that I spend most of my spare time on the lake chasing slab Crappie. :D

4. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

i was thinking about going for some turky we just got a open season for them around cranbrook season starts at the end of april havent decided yet but i really want to go what did you shoot it with i've never been before i got a 12 gauge would that work if so what kind of shot or i could try the old bow but that would be alot harder oh well have to see

5. afroman006

Puntuation is your friend :rotfl:. My turkey gun is a Benelli Super Nova 12 ga. 3 1/2" that has a 28" barrel, mad max choke tube, and Bushnell red dot sight on it. It works great in every regard but the barrel, its WAY too long. I'm going to get a 24"er for it eventually. I would not go less than 12 ga. for turkey unless you are seeking the challenge of getting them very close, I killed this bird at 40 yards :D . I like the 3 1/2" for the knockdown power and long range it, shoots about a 30" pattern at 40 yards but you could easily get by with a 3" gun. I've been doing this for about 7 years so I've accumulated some prety cool stuff :D .

6. highrider_44s

puntuation whats that :grin:
    my shotgun is only a 3" shell but what size of shot do you use maby a 3 or a 4

7. afroman006

:D I use Winchester supreme 3 1/2" #5's. I tried about a half dozen different loads and this one patterned the best. All turkey loads I have seen are 4,5,6, or a mix (Remington's duplex, 4's and 6's). On a side note the high velocity shells I tried all patterend notably worse than the regular ones, so I stuck with the "slow" stuff.

8. highrider_44s

size 5 thats good to know i was thinking of using buck shot :haha: well not quite but it was going to be big but size 5 sounds good :saweet:

9. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ahh the ever elusive gobbler. Haven't bagged one yet but maybe in the morning. I shoot an 870 special purpose, 20" barrel, .665 comp n choke, scope, and #5 3" Supremes. :xmas:

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Everybody tells me they're all over out here, gonna give it a try this year. Hopefully my good old 870 Express Magnum will do the trick.

11. afroman006

Here's bird #2. C'mon guys I know yall can do it. I got this badboy sunday morning. Average size.

birdy.jpg