Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

God bless California.....(and any other southwestern state)....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Jul 10, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Well, life couldn't be better if your working on a 69 blazer /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

This is what the floor looked like under the carpet..remember this is a first year k5
    [​IMG]

a bit of POR to "freeze" the moment..
    [​IMG]

a small poser shot from the side..more to come from this "quick" restore project.
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Up in these parts you'd be hard pressed to find a early 90's whatever that clean.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

hey man, did that thing come with the top? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

woah hi pinion got excited /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Thats amazing... was it 69 you have there? I have never seen something that clean /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif hey was that a tripple? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

yeah, I bought it a couple of weeks ago. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Dont take this the wrong way...but you suk /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif hey was that a tripple? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, a triple WHAMMY /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

couldn't have said it better!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

yeah yeah /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif it spent the last 7 years in storage. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

11. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

thats awesome! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif If I had a small bank roll I'd fly out and drive one back flat towing another one!

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Man,if I had that K5 I'd dip the whole thing in POR-15,and move to Arizona--I'd never have to buy another one!.That thing looks like it came out of a time capsule--Dry arid climates rule!. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dry arid climates rule!. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

it sure does /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

the only rust I found on my sub was surface rust on my driver side mirror.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Where I live,if you sand your truck to bare metal,you MUST prime and paint it immediately--I've sanded some spots on my truck at night,got tired and decided to finish it the next morning--it was already flash rusted! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Its like taking a bite from an apple--10 minites later it turns brown!.We have lots of acid rain here too,on top of the calcium cloride road salt they dump by the tons,that and the crud that clings to your truck from the local landfill,it hardens like concrete,and when you bash it off with a hammer,the truck is missing sheet metal in a very short period of time under the crud--its like battery acid.
    New England sucks if you like old trucks,and hate rust! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

holy crap deisel, thats really bad with all the rust /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dry arid climates rule!.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually Jakeslim is from Napa which is in the northern part of the Bay Area which is known for its fog and cool damp mornings. Thats one reason why Napa is such a great place to grow grapes for wine. The humidity is nothing like back east but it's also not dry and arid like the South West. For the most part Napa does have a great climate. I lived there for seven years and that was one of My favorit things about it.

17. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I am doing some work on my dads 56 willy's it has a couple of rust spots on it.. I went all over tryin to find por 15 to put over.. I couldn't find it.. I know I could order it over the net.. But I thought it was funny that I couldn't find it.. I must have went to 15 places and called 6 more.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Don't waste Your time on that stuff. I did My floorboards with it a year and a half ago and the rust came right back. I even ran an orbital sander over the rusted areas and used the cleaner that They recomend befor I applied it. I'm not impressed with the stuff.

19. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Well I lived in NJ for a few years before moving to Napa last year and THERE IS NO COMPARISON to the humidity, rain, snow and chemicals on the road for the snow.

The k5 did spend the majority of its life in Southern CA were it was purchased so I am sure that helps. Staying in storage last 7yrs helps also.

Regarding POR 15- I used it on my 77k5 and the stuff is excellent. I used it on the frame, wheel wells, rear floor(inside and out), front floors. There is no rust returning yet. As with anything Rust will return unless you cut it out. The intent in my opinion is to SLOW it down by years. I did have some rust come back to the passenger floor, but it was surface and was because I did not know that I had a leak that was able to sit for a few months last winter and "fester" beyond the expectation of any rust proofer.

The POR15 is rock hard once cured and my frame and wheel wells and engine compartment look great.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif