Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

god damn tail shaft on np208

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Aug 28, 2002.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

my tailshaft is leaking, the plug is leaking more like it, should i remove the driveshaft, take the slip yoke off the driveshaft, clean it up a bit, and take it to my uncle to weld the plug in place, thanks guys.

2. 87sm465np208

please respond

3. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I tried that route with my 110v mig and it didnt work, perhaps brazing it would work.

i tried blue RTV-nope
    i tried JB weld-negative
    i tried 110v mig-drip,drip,drip

Finally bought a used one from a member of this here board and have been leak free ever since.

try to have it brazed, but plan on getting a replacement from someone or a junkyard.

keep us updated for future reference.

rob

4. 87sm465np208

to tell you the truth, i dont know if im gunna even tamper with it, i drove it for about two weeks from work and back, and cruising around town, about say 200 miles, then i goto check it, full, all the time its just driping slowly, and leaving a small spot of atf on the driveway and on the parking lot at work and school. so i dont think im gunna [censored] with it, i seen my rear axle seals were leaking because it was throwing oil all over, then i goto check it, full, then i goto check my trans (SM-465) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif, full, then i check my front diff because i see its leaking a wee bit, full, so i dont get it, its just the chevy fairy that lingers in my head i guess. but if it does go down a bit, ill just get under there and take the 30mm bolt off and add some, no biggie im a young strapping boy, so it dont bother me. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif gear lube is cheap, atf isnt all that expensive, so and i just did my fuel filter, had to make a new fuel line for it since the old one kinda became a one peiceline with the front feed line, rear feed line was wasnt rusted to the fuel filter, so i bought some high pressure fuel hose to be safe, and a fuel hose repair kit, and did it, it seems to accelerate faster, and not laggin as much, seems to start quicker too. but thanks for your imput

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I wish you the best of luck finding a fix for your problem...But I would like to remind you that you that "we" as a whole group here are in a habit of trying to reframe from being out right and blunt with the "verbage". Don't get me wrong...I'll GD you to death if I'm mad and I know you don't mind it...but there are some family folks on here that may take offense to such "phrases" as GD...Especially right out in the open in the topic line.

Best thing you can do for that leak is to replace the slip-yoke section of your driveshaft. Think its about $80. This will fix your leak as well as some other common characteristics that come with worn out slip-yokes.

Good Luck! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif