Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GODDAMMIT!!! One of the most goddamn hairpullingly, irritating thing about CK5

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zeus33rd, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I was about 3/4 of the way done typing a loooong reply in the Garage to someones question about TIG cups. I had to reposition the curser, so I reached over to grab the mouse, and my thumb hit one of the buttons on the side of the mouse...the button is programmed to be a "back button", like clicking back on your browser to go to the previous page. So naturally when I hit the button, it went back to previous page. Que the sinking, pissed off feeling.....Hit the forward button and my 5 paragraphs worth of typing is ****ING GONE. Thats happened to me 3 or 4 times now since the forum upgrade...And it alwasy happens when I've typed some huge reply to help someone out. It's goddamn rediulous. This is the only forum I've ever been to that this happens. Every other forums, if you hit the back button accidently or purposefully, after typing something, you can go forward again and the stuff you typed is still there. All that goddamn time wasted...no way in hell I feel motivated enough to type it all out again. I want to smash something right now. :mad:

And while I'm bitching-

Another small but irritating issue I have with the forum since the upgrade is that when you right click in the text typing area there is no copy or paste options. Gotta use Ctrl-c and Ctrl-v.

Can this sh!t be fixed? Or am I just SOL?:mad::mad::mad:

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

copy and paste works fine for me:confused: if im going to make a long reply like that what i do is open outlook express and type it in a email first then just cut and paste it:D

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My copy/paste works fine. Do you have "standard editor" selected in your user cp under "options"?

Also, I just checked - On my puter when I am typing this reply I can jump back at least a dozen screens, then come back up to here and all my typed stuff is still here.

4. Zeus33rd

AAhhhh...wtf? Why does yours work and mine doesn't. Argghh

I'm usingin mozilla btw...

I have the enhanced editor selected.

And when you say the copy and paste works fine, do you mean that when you right click in the text area, you get the copy and paste options?
    Only options I get are the same as if I right clicked anywhere else on the page.:crazy:

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

that back button and forward again stuff after typing soemthing in box first thing does happen from time to time= not every time but just now and then

should be the same case for everyone

at least with IE anyways i guess

dunno on firefox or anything else

id lose that program mouse button back button thing and ASAP

screw all that crap

your right click function pop up options should work fine in message box- when typing in/editing post, etc,

if it doesnt then you have soemthing wrong

scan your puter with adware, spyware, hijackthis, panda or trend micro online scanner too,

you got something going on,..,

also go into system tools and use disk cleanup function, and go through all your temp folders and delete everything in them and through internet tools options delete temp files online and offline both

try to do everything in safe mode it at all possible- except the panda or trand micro online scan

do all of the above very often, try once a day bare minimum, more often if you are internet alot, like everyday, like i am, you would be surprised what finds its way onto puters and how much of it and how short of time it takes, and what things they crap will lbock out, such as your right click mouse functions, etc,.

cybertechhelp.com is a GREAt site to become memeber of and go to every day, everything yo can thihnk of can be found there, adware spyware everything downloads, advice, forums for hardware, software, networking, windows versions, everything, lots of ppl there, good ppl, VERY knowledgable puter techs,

good luck

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the copy/paste issue is Mozilla..

i learned years ago when i'm typing a big post to periodically copy it as i go... i AOhell use to screw me on long posts cuz by the time you went to post, it would log you off for inactivity... :mad:

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Joe,

Have you cross-posted this in the "Feedback" forum?

Steve seems pretty good about reading that and fixing problems that people report.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i feel for you joe, my mouse has two buttons on the side both of witch i dont use one goes back and one closes the window, then your really screwed.

i would also like this fixed

9. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Dude, this has happened to me a lot on here and other forums. Very frustrating and it has something to do with this type of forum (VBB?), and your right, it only happens when I have written a book about something.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

On the "Copy and Paste" issue, I had the same problem when we got the new forum.

Go to the Message Editor Interface and switch it either to the Basic or the Standard, don't use the Enhanced Editor, that was the problem I had. As far as I know, I blame it on forum software. On other sites with the same software, I've had the same problem. :D

11. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It does it to me If i want to check back on the previous post I have to open a new browser to go see it if I back up and then come back its a blank screen

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The copy/paste feature works perfectly for me and I'm using the Enhanced Editor :D

But the back button then forward again comes up with a blank text area :frown1:

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Are you using Mozilla also?

14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i also have all the same problems, i'm pretty sure its mozilla

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

not only that but it wont give you a curser, I have to refresh the page to get the curser, every thing elce is there just no curser!!1

mozilla also

16. Zeus33rd

My computer is clean and healthy, no problems with spywayre or anything like that. I don't need a virus scan or anything else. I've never had an issue like that with it. I wouldn't have made this post if it were something as simple and retarded as that.

And I shouldn't have to disable or get rid of any thing regarding my mouse just so I can use one website. I like having the back buttons on the side, it's convienent. I'm NOT going to change it. This is the ONLY website have these issues with. I shouldn't have to do anything different like change editors or anything. It should work the way it was meant to regardless of my browser, settings, or how I have my mouse buttons set up. This forum software isn'tso old that it shouldn't work with Mozilla. Mozzilla is becomeing more popular than IE....

It's an issue that NEEDS to be fixed. Weather it's on Steves end at this level or at an actuall programming level, I dunno. But needs to be fixed.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Let me get this straight. YOU programmed a mouse button to be a back button, and you're bitching that when YOU make a mistake and hit said button on accident then what you type gets erased? And this is the forum's fault how?

I've hit the back button on accident a couple times and had a post erased but I've never gotten pissed at the forum because of my mistake. Shoot, it never even occured to me to get mad at the forum software.

18. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

When you go back to the message you typed, hit refresh, usually brings it back for me

Copy works fine for me on Firefox 1.2

19. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

some mouses come with the button pre programed, mine did, and its easy to hit by accident, and sometimes i'll hit submit on a post, the computer will hang, i'll get a generic error message from ck5, so i hit back and its all gone, nothing i did wrong

20. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm running IE, use the Standard Editor within CK5, and I've got a 4-button mouse as well (left side "back", right side "forward"). Copy & Paste works fine for me within the text box for posts. I've had the "magically-disappearing post" happen to me a couple times too... :angry1: :angry1: What I do now if I know I'm writing a novel is to occasionally hit "Preview Post". Accidental back-button strikes won't wipe out your post (I've intentionally gone 4 pages back from Preview Post, then gone forward - my stuff's still there). It's become such a habit that even if Steve fixes whatever the issue is, I'll still use Preview.