Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Goes flat on tip in

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86K5inMN, Mar 14, 2002.

1. 86K5inMN

86K5inMN Registered Member

I'm having a problem with my truck. It started last night after a long drive at about 65mph. Just after throttlr tip in the engine goes flat. it won't accelerate. I can slowly work my way up to the right speed but it takes awhile. The engine has 109000 on it and hasn't had much work other than tune-up stuff including the fuel filter and a new fuel pump. I kind of wonder about the transmission condition as I am the third owner and I have no idea what the truck was used for. Any help would be appreciated. I can't check posts very often as I am out-of-town but I will check them this weekend.
    Thank You

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Is the 86 computer controlled ignition?
    Is it fuel injected.. I forget. Sorry.

I would say ignition timing or vacuum leak.

I find when mine doesn't accelerate when I hit the pedal hard, it is because the timing is too retarded.

If fuel injected, check engine codes.

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

on a card'd engine that is accelerator pump

would that be MAP on a fuelie

4. 86K5inMN

86K5inMN Registered Member

Sorry, it is a computer controlled carb. I've done alot with cars but not much with carbs, especially the quadrajet. Is the accel pump an easy fix. For a few more days I have access to a spare vehicle so now would be the time to do it.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Accel pump is an easy fix, also an easy test.

After vehicle has been running, remove the air cleaner. While looking into the primaries, either operate the throttle linkage to WOT (fairly quickly) or press the accelerator pump down with your finger...its on the top drivers side front of the carb, and has a green arm that presses on it. If you see a strong squirt of gas, your accelerator pump is working. If no squirt, or a dribble, it's got problems.