Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

goin out on my own.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by eightyone, Jan 29, 2006.

1. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

well, i decided im moving from long island to phoenix arizona. any advice from anyone whos done something like this? im 21, this will be my first time moving out of my parents house. i got a few grand to start with. im hoping to find a laborer job for a while, and eventually start up my own business. im going out there with 2 friends, my bmx bike, and a few basic tools. im leaving my trucks, my trailer and all my obig tools home for now. i wont have anywhere to put them. id like to hear some stories from some of you guys who have just picked up and moved half way across the country.:o

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

What kind of work do you do?

3. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

i do construction right now, but i would liek to get into excavating. im a big fan of digging dirt and driving dump trucks.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

FWIW, digging all day long sucks. Ask me how I know........:doah:

My best advice? Go get a trade. Framing, welding, pipefitting, anything that give you a little slip of paper when you're done. You'll get better jobs,and more importantly, better PAYING jobs. And the trades are all screaming for fresh blood right now. You don't realize how good of a postion you're in right now, young man. In the 90s, work was a lot harder to come by. These days, with the high rate of retirement in every industry, young guys literally have their pick of work. If I could do it all over again.........

5. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

i recently got a class A commercial license permit. i wanted to have a full license by the time i left, but i dont have the money to go to a driving school. so i was hoping to start off low, and get tought how to drive the big rigs while werking. and eventually get the real deal. i plan on owning whatever business i end up in eventually.

6. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Right on, I've packed up and moved like that, you'll grow up way faster then you would around the folks. My advice is to haul, trailer all you can. Storage units are cheap and it can be difficult and expensive getting the rest of your stuff out.
    Best of luck, and you'll have a cool trip driving out. Bring your shorts and sandals, welcome to Az.

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

*sigh* If only I didn't have such physically weak hands and wasn't so scrawny, I'd learn welding, electrician, plumbing and/or pipefitting.

8. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

ive drivin all over the country a few times, so i know the drive is going to be fun, i love being on the road. as for all my stuf, im going to get settled in, and then fly home, and get everything else i will need, and then drive back to az. this way i will know what i will have room for, and what i will even need.

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

You know what?

This is not a bad idea, not at all, the building trades are ALWAYS hiring.

You know what else? Starting your own biz sounds like you are ready, just make sure you have a cont license, the proper tools, and a wee bit of money to start.

It always starts with the little dream man ,

and you will be suprized if the little dream ,,,eventually turns into something more like a dream in some ways, and a nightmare sometimes,too, :haha: but , i say stay the course. At least you have enough brains already to go in it for yourself, i in my youth could not grasp the concept of running the play, i couldnt get out of that menality . I was to busy being the puppet , instead of running the whole play. I say stay the course, work hard, pay attention, ask questions, bug the hell out of them old guys with asking,,, like i did, be Jewish like me and work 6-7 days a week :wink1:

And you might end up like my brother in law who is 25, own his own const company, and made like 875,000 last year, at 25 years old!!!! :laugh: :D :pimp:

I hate him for that , too :haha:

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I say go with the constrution man, it will pay off in the end.